PDA

View Full Version : a 111 question

Rogdul
08-16-2011, 10:40 PM
I am beginning my first ever build and have found a Savage 111 with no bolt. So I need a bolt. The rifle is labeled 111. No J, no other indications beyond "Savage model 111 cal 30.06 sprg Savage Arms Inc..WESTFIELD MASS. U.S.A." The serial number is F304###. It has an internal staggered magazine. It is in a reasonably nice wood stock with a plastic trigger guard. I have not decided on a caliber just yet but initially would like to get a new bolt, get the head spacing right and get it functional in its original 30-06. I have a handful of bolt parts (most of them actually-just no bolt body) plus a complete left hand bolt that was donated from a new model 110. My 111 has the flat rear receiver. The donated left hand bolt is set up for the newer round receiver. O.K., all that to ask, can I just buy a 110 right handed bolt body and bolt head then Frankenstein the parts together? Or do I need to buy a 111 specific bolt?

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n511/Rogdul/103_9258.jpg

airaddict
08-16-2011, 10:58 PM
youu would prob be better off buying a complete bolt from midway than trying to frankenstein one together. keep ur parts for spares. the bolts are $100 from midway for stainless and a bit cheaper for blued.

brian

geargrinder
08-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Sending PM.

ellobo
08-16-2011, 11:14 PM
What air addict said. Dont forget to get the right scope base for a flat back. and dont tighten the screws into the receiver to contact the barrel. Make sure your barrel and tang are free floated and you should be good to go. Loosen the reciever mtg screws, put some matchbook cover shims at the sides of your barrel and retorque the screws to 30-60 inch lbs of torque then remove the shims and retorque. Your barrel should then be free floated. Pass a sheet of paper under the barrel its length to check. You may find you have to remove wood from the barrel channel.
. Same at the tang. If the tang wood needs work you will have to remove the receiver to get at the stock in that area. If you remove wood, put some gunstock oil on the bare wood. Several coats.

El Lobo

bootsmcguire
08-16-2011, 11:16 PM
There is a bolt for a 110/111 model gun in the classifieds here with the 30-06 bolt head. Seller wants $50 shipped.

Might be worth the $12 membership fees to snag it up.

Just FYI.

airaddict
08-16-2011, 11:31 PM
better hurry. prob wont last to long.

Rogdul
08-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Thank you very much for the information. So a 110 bolt will work. That is what I needed to know. I may indeed obtain a paid memborship just to keep learning more. Access to the classifieds would be a bonus. Again thank you very much for the information.

Rogdul
09-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Well it has taken a while but I have finally gotten a new bolt. Midway got back ordered for a while. I still have to install the ejector. But it locks up and cycles fine. It is with my gun smith while he tries to locate his head space gages. Hopefully we can get it up and running this week. I am very anxious to see how the removal of the barrel nut goes. Beyond Kroil, good vises and wrenches,etc, are there any other tricks? Does anyone know if Savage ever used a locktite like product on the nut?

Well I feel I am getting closer to having to make a decision about the caliber and whether or not to stick with this reciever. I really want an accutrigger and have been having this strange longing for stainless steel. But this may wind me up in another thread.

Oh, and again thanks to all of you for your advice, especially Geargrinder who has been oh so understanding of my not understanding.

earl39
09-12-2011, 11:27 PM
I am very anxious to see how the removal of the barrel nut goes. Beyond Kroil, good vises and wrenches,etc, are there any other tricks? Does anyone know if Savage ever used a locktite like product on the nut?

Don't try just pulling on the nut wrench. Get a deadblow hammer and give the wrench a really good whack. To my knowledge Savage doesn't use loctite or any other thread sealer.

Gary

Rogdul
09-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Well based on our head space gauges the rifle is whithin proper tolerances. No need to remove anything just yet. I dont have any bases to fit it right now so I will just fire a few rounds this weekend to make sure it goes bang. Then probably a new post in the help me decide section. Thanks again.