PDA

View Full Version : best way to paint a stainless barrel?

mattri
08-16-2011, 08:37 AM
What is the best way to paint a stainless barrel? Looking for something I can do myself at home. Any product/procedure recommendations?

trappst
08-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Duracoat has worked well for me. Just follow the instructions for the prep and you'll be fine. A foam ear plug stuck in the muzzle will keep the paint out of the bore.

dcloco
08-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Clean and degrease, scuff with 320 (or glass bead with fine bead), and spray with hi temp paint of your favorite color. I always clear coat with Satin clear.

I use the above on rifles that will be hunted with....so...scratch touch up is easy. :)

mattri
08-16-2011, 05:51 PM
What kind of paint do you use?

dcloco
08-17-2011, 12:16 AM
Krylon or automotive paint.

M.O.A.
08-17-2011, 12:53 AM
I used high temp brake paint to paint mine and after it dried i shot about 15 rounds though it fast fire to kinda cure it. so far it has work great no chips or scratches and you dont have to oil it after you touch it every time. ;D ;D

GaCop
08-17-2011, 07:33 AM
I've used Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II on a couple of barrels with good durable results.

Tracer
08-17-2011, 09:53 PM
I actually paint all my stainless barrels on my big game rifles! I simply take the stock off the action and barrel, then clean them both with automotive brake cleaner {outside in the backyard} then I wipe them clean with a white rag etc. I then use Rustomlium Paint (flat black) to paint the metal with two coats of paint. This stops any sheen or shine from the sun that animals might spot easy in movement. It also will keep any rust from forming if your in the rainy season or if in places like Alaska where salt air and moisture can play heck with metal on rifles.