PDA

View Full Version : Which light for night hog hunting?

MikeSSS
11-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Funds are limited for this once every few years activity. The hogs come in between 40 and 60 yards and it's important not to shoot a Javalina by mistake.

I've read the reviews on the Primos Nightblaster 100, 250, 350 yard and LED lights. To me it looks like the 350 yard, 55 Watt light for this use.

Anybody use the Lightforce 170 or 140 scope mounted lights? If so what do you think?

Any advice or comments?

Thanks

river grant
11-10-2009, 06:12 PM
I&#39;ve had the nightblaster 350 for about 4 years and stopped using it 2 years ago. It&#39;s really a good light but I got used to shooting at night using small LED flashlights. I have one flashlight mounted to my bipod that I use a pressure switch for. You can mount the switch to the stock or wherever you desire but mine is just hangin&#39; out waiting to be used. The bipod mount only points down the barrel when the legs are folded forward but I usually shoot off bags at night so the legs are pretty much always pointed forward. One thing I found out very quickly is that using brighter lights usually means taking longer shots, less powerful lights seem to spook less (at least with yotes and cats). You can mount a decent led light to your gun for <$30. The other thing about the nightblaster is all of the wiring and the 6v battery pack, kinda cumbersome.

Three44s
11-18-2009, 03:12 AM
I own a Lightforce. So a fellow hunting friend.

I think the world of it.

They are expensive but also have hands down the cleanest spot of any light I have ever seen.

They can be a little persinkity about getting the spot regulated to your sights ...... not real bad ....... just some what of a pain. But then I don&#39;t know how you would improve without a bunch more cost.

Three 44s

.17 HEAVY
11-29-2009, 10:55 PM
I have to agree with everyone&#39;s post.

I have shot the scope mount with the 6V-and quite the load to wag around.

Red lensed fliash lights, LED&#39;s. Yep. They all work.

I like a litte hog hunting as well, and my next trip out, I plan to take my scope with the reticle allowing adjusted brightness, and a LED light. It doesn&#39;t take a lot of light when your looking through the scope.

Note: Be sure to keep your scope power turned down to a low magnification-and GO HAVE SOME FUN!!!!

venatic
11-29-2009, 11:28 PM
I use a Nightforce 170 mounted on a Zeiss scope and it works like a champ. I use the reostat to start low and work to high once I am ready to shoot.
I disagree on keeping your scope on the lowest power when using a light. You can only see where the light is pointing so why do you need a wide field of view?
I keep my scope on 8X or so at night. It helps see clearly what you are shooting at and since the light will reach out 300/400yds thats important.

Three44s
11-30-2009, 12:56 AM
After some more thought:

Are you moving around or on a stand?

A Light force would be fine on a stand but if you move a fair amount ...... you will need something smaller.

At the ranges you are talking about ...... I would even consider the bargain basement Surefire if you have a very good optic .... it&#39;s worth a test and those lights are under 30 bucks (last time I bought one) ....... and one of the other companies ....... makes a replacement tail cap to make the G2 Surefire into a poor man&#39;s weapon light.

Just another thought.

Three 44s