PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Stevens 67E 12ga ???

bootsmcguire
08-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Anyone know for sure if the barrel on this is permanently attached to the receiver or removable? Seems to me to be solid and I found one source that lists it both ways so I don't Know.

I am thinking about converting this to a Smooth-bore slug gun. I made my 1st slug gun out of a Westernfield Browning patent pump that was pretty wore out. I cut the 30in barrel down to 28 to get rid of the choke and drilled and tapped the receiver for a weaver base and put a 4x32 scope on it. It did really well. I used to get 2" groups off of a sandbag at 150yds. shooting cheapo Winchester 2 3/4 rifled slugs. I had to retire her when the slide bar started coming loose from the bolt block when it was fired. Broke my heart to see her go into retirement. We had snipered many a deer together with my furthest 1 shot kill out at 210yds. Now I know the new sabot stuff does that regularly but keep in mind what I was using.

I am babbling but any insight to my original question would be great, Thanks.

Boots

stevec
08-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Boots, My 67e barrel is threaded. I removed it with a barrel vise and a homade action wrench when I opened up the forcing cone.

I have read on some blogs and forums about some with interupted threads but wasnt the case with mine.

Steve

bootsmcguire
08-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Thanks Steve. Thats kind of what I figured or hoped. Being threaded it should be a lot more solid than a Rem 870, Moss. 500/835, etc. I have had my 835 change POI in the past with optics due to the removable barrel shifting around, thats why it got retired from deer duty and is strictly used with shotshells.