PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Savage 93R17TR headspace issue

norcal_cyclist
08-15-2011, 07:01 PM
We recently purchased a Savage 93R17TR for my father's birthday. It was used but was sold a s a low round count gun. After taking it out we noticed that there was alot of powder burning down the sides of the spent cartridges. The backs of them were bowed out and the primer strikes looked light. The accuracy is way off compared to my .22 MarkII TR. Is the headspace adjustable on this gun as in the centerfire model 93's? It actually looks like teh bolt handle to receiver interface is what determined headspace - I hope I am wrong though. The face of the receiver that contacts the base of the bolt handle is worn a little.

When you close the bolt and put pressure forward and let go it snaps back a bit.

Video here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/108121752957374175290/August152011#5641218858359734658

handirifle
08-23-2011, 07:56 AM
All 93's are rimfire. The model 93 is a magnum (17 HMR and 22 WMR) rimfires. Heads[ace is not adjustable on any 93. Someone here might be able to point you to a link where some have swapped barrels, and they indicate how they have set the headspace in doing so, but the rimfires, ant not as user friendly as the centerfires are, in that respect.

If you are not capable of doing that type of work I would contact Savage and possibly send it back. That would explain why it was sold as a low round count firearm.

TOP PREDATOR
08-23-2011, 07:50 PM
there's a way of shimming the bolt where it is split and rotates essentially lowering the headspace, but as handirifle said, talk to savage and get it done correctly first.

if all else fails either sell it as a low round rifle ::) or do the shim thing. the shim thing would be my last ditch effort though.

norcal_cyclist
09-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the information.. I saw where the bolt seperates but decided to send it back. It's been 2 weeks and it seems the gun has fallen into a black hole.