PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Why a muzzle break on a 22LR or 17HMR

kbb468
08-15-2011, 03:17 PM
So I was traveling for work and went into the local Cabela's in Hartford, Ct. and saw this http://www.cabelas.com/bolt-action-savage-arms-accutrigger-17hmr-rimfire-rifle-2.shtml#tabsCollection When I ask the guy at the counter why is there a muzzle break on a 22LR or 17HMR he couldn't answer and was kind of puzzled himself. So does anyone here know why savage did this? It couldn't be for reducing recoil, or could it? Doesn't makes since. I was thinking this is a nice looking piece and it might have my name on it.

TOP PREDATOR
08-15-2011, 04:42 PM
even with the low recoil (if you want to call it recoil) a brake will reduce muzzle flip, but more utilitarian on say a full auto 10/22.

i'm not savage so i can't truely answer with 100% certainty, but i'll wager that:

1. just like with most things, the brake makes it LOOK cooler than it actually is. more of a tactical snipery kind of feel and look to attract gadget crazy.

2. if it is a threaded brake, well then its to camoflage that a suppressor can be screwed right on.

sort of like the tri rail on the TRR - sniperey looking.

noelfr
08-15-2011, 06:03 PM
I went through the same puzzlement. I found the answer in a book on ballistics by accident. Supposedly the muzzle brake "strips" the turbulent gasses from the cartridge so that they don't interfere with the stability of the bullet. Gives you a cleaner exit from the muzzle.
It's a great justification to look cool.

kbb468
08-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Well, I agree it does look cool. But how is it going to affect ballistics of the bullet any more than those with out brakes. you would think with out the brake would be best for bullet speed, especially with a 22LR.

noelfr
08-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Without the confinement of the rifle barrel the gasses cease to push the bullet with any effectiveness almost imediately. The gasses still make their presence known by beginning to upset, churn and burble. Since they are still in contact w/ the base of the bullet and are actually (in the early stages) passing the bullet this turbulence can effect stability. It's pretty negligible but there. It is of major concern to those who were potty trained w/ a 12ga. (i.e.-anal retentive). The muzzle brake "strips" these gasses from the side of the bullet allowing a much freer flying projectile. More of a concern w/ higher powered rifles but still pretty negligible.

memilanuk
08-16-2011, 07:35 PM
...which explains why we see so many muzzle brakes on Olympic smallbore and rimfire benchrest rifles, being concerned w/ accuracy and such ;) Granted, not being intimately familiar w/ those sports there may be things in the rule books which prohibit them, but I kinda doubt it.

I vote for the 'cuz it looks cool' explanation ;)

shelbyfan
08-16-2011, 07:37 PM
For the most part not useful at all, but if you shoot groups rapidly it helps a lot. On my 22/45 I have a brake and it gets rid of nearly all muzzle flip. Because of that, repeat shots come faster.

Savage is getting into the tac look and use lately, look at the police line up and the 338L, so having a threaded barrel for a suppressor is not surprising.

...which explains why we see so many muzzle brakes on Olympic smallbore and rimfire benchrest rifles, being concerned w/ accuracy and such ;) Granted, not being intimately familiar w/ those sports there may be things in the rule books which prohibit them, but I kinda doubt it.

I vote for the 'cuz it looks cool' explanation ;)
Remember, threaded barrels are not even legal in Cali and a couple other states, think about how draconian some of the Euro laws could be, then toss in the anal retentive nature of "purists" http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/shelbyfan/smilies/puke.gif I doubt anything like that would be allowed. Plus the ammo they use has about zero recoil.

shelbyfan
08-16-2011, 07:48 PM
In the OP link did anyone else catch the first review. Do it, do it now.

sharpshooter
08-16-2011, 09:49 PM
I've put a few brakes on rimfires and all I can say is the results were dismal. Radical point of impact change, and bigger groups. A .17 HMR basically has no recoil, so it must be a "coolness" factor.