PDA

View Full Version : Bedding compund

cmorsch
08-15-2011, 08:54 AM
I was wondering if anyone has used the Devcon Plastic Steel Epoxy to bed a rifle. I have a place by me thats closing and is selling the 2oz tubes of it for under a dollar each. And I wasnt sure if these would work the same as their putty?

Quickshot
08-15-2011, 09:22 AM
From all info that I have read on this forum, from those that have tried it, the tube stuff is too thin and runny to stay in place. I've had good luck with JB Weld but it works best when given a little time to set before application. With the tubes of Devcon that cheap you might try mixing some up see if it will thicken enough to use. I found the easiest to use for me was Acra- Glas gel. Seems everyone now is going to the metal compounds. Quick

jpdown
08-15-2011, 11:55 AM
I've used the Devcon Plastic Steel - Steel Weld Epoxy on at least 12 bedding jobs over the last several years. Easy to find at the local hardware store. Convenient plunger tube. Gel consistency similar to Accuglass gel with more working time. Chemical and oil resistent. I use Kwiki netural shoe polish as the release agent. Use vineger, acetone, or laquer thinner for clean-up of excess. Sets up in as little as 9 hrs, but waiting 12 to 24 hrs is best.