PDA

View Full Version : Building a new 300WM

carrbque
08-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Hello all,

I am new to this site, and I am sure I am asking a common question.

I want to build a new 300 Winmag. I have decided to use a Savage as the base.

What I need help with is deciding which model to get started with. I like the Savage 10 FCP McMillan, but I would like a 300WM and not a 308.

Thanks in advance for all of the advice!

psharon97
08-15-2011, 01:18 AM
First, welcome to this site. This site, and people on here have a plethora of information that can help you out with your build.
Probably the most important question to ask is this: what are you going to be doing with this rifle. The answer to this question will be a better guide for us to give you some advice.

3fingervic
08-15-2011, 05:42 PM
I would build a .300 wsm because you have a short action. Are you looking to use it as a single shot, repeater or something with detachable mag?

psharon97
08-15-2011, 08:34 PM
As far as a basic model to pick up: I would recommend a Stevens rifle to start off with. You can pick them up at Academy for $150. You may have to have them ship you the rifle. Otherwise, check your local pawn shops and see if they have any used Savage or Stevens.

Dano5001
08-15-2011, 10:16 PM
As far as a basic model to pick up: I would recommend a Stevens rifle to start off with. You can pick them up at Academy for $150. You may have to have them ship you the rifle. Otherwise, check your local pawn shops and see if they have any used Savage or Stevens.

I would go this route, although I have not seen them for $150, but did pick 2 up for $179 each ;D
Go with a Criterion 300 winmag barrel for $250, SSS trigger for $100, and pick a stock you like.

carrbque
08-16-2011, 12:42 AM
First I would like to say thanks to all that replied.
Second I will address what my use will be,
I would like to use this rifle for an Oryx hunt in January.
For those of you that don't know what an Orxy is I will explain. An Oryx is a large goat that comes from Africa. Years ago, a few Oryx were relocated to White Sands Missile Range. To make a long story short, I will be hunting one in January.

So to define what my builds' use will be,
Long range hunting and some target shooting at 1000
I understand that shooting at 1000yds is very difficult, but I have some experience shooting that far already.

Also I looked at the Stevens suggestion, would I be buying the Stevens for the action only??

With the time constraints that I am under, I think the best route is buying a more complete rifle package.
I am looking at the Savage 110 FC in the McMillan stock....

Any thoughts??

Thanks

psharon97
08-16-2011, 01:11 AM
If you choose to go with the stevens, you would be looking at the action only. Most of the components to build a precision rifle are available from several of the venders here. Check out what Jim at NSS or Sin Arms have in stock as prefit barrels. As a stock, a good stock at a decent price is something like a Choate UV stock. A good trigger would be something like a SSS Competition Trigger. You could have the rifle built in a month provided everyone has the things you want in stock.

youngtrout
08-16-2011, 02:48 AM
Got to say you got some good advise. Don't know what the sticker price on the rifle you are looking at but I bet the rifle build outlined above is on par most likely

For the time thing. You could build the rifle above in a evening most likely. Bedding and such would add some time but you would have that in a factory too

And you get better components, buy a Stevens. Screw off barrel. Screw on another barrel. Install trigger. Bolt in stock. 3 hours tops. And you have a gun that should shoot. Not knocking factory tubes. But you said something about time. All my custom barrels have been easier to work loads up for. Then again you didn't say you reload? Just build it

carrbque
08-16-2011, 03:09 AM
Gentlemen,

Building is the way to go!

I have been pricing all of the components, and for a few hundred less I can build a better rifle!

Yes I do reload. I was reloading for a 300 RUM that I have. I am trying to sell it right now, that way I can pay for better parts!

what is the best barrel length and twist for a 300WM?

Thanks!

3fingervic
08-16-2011, 09:59 AM
1 to 10" seems to be the standard. I think it depends what weight bullets you would like to shoot.

carrbque
08-17-2011, 02:15 AM
i was thinking i would shoot 180 and up

Thanks

rinodods
08-17-2011, 02:51 AM
1 in 10 will work just fine for you. Hornady now offers some good stuff in the 208 range and the berger 190's are pretty nice. You'll find a 26" prefit pretty easy but you might have to put in an order if you want a different length. Have you considered at muzzle brake yet? If looking for a brake and barrel give Devin at Sinarms a shout. You should get pretty decent turn around time with him and get can do the brake for you while he is at it.

carrbque
08-18-2011, 02:02 AM
Gents,

I have been finalizing what my plan will be.

Thank you all for the help!

I will post pics as soon as I complete the build!

Thanks again!!!