PDA

View Full Version : surgeon action wrench

airaddict
08-13-2011, 08:25 PM
has anyone tried one of the surgeon action wrenches?

i saw it today on brownells and thought mabe that would fit a savage since they are made to fit remmy 700's and surgeon rifles which r remmy clones but w a lot closer tolerances. its a good concept and has plenty of metal to support it without warping anything.

if anyone has one or knows if it fits, chime in cuz im seriously thinkin of gettin one to compliment my barrel nut wrench.

brian

airaddict
08-13-2011, 09:07 PM
heres some pics i was able to get.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k599/airaddict/surgeonactionwrench1.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k599/airaddict/surgeonactionwrench.jpg

hopefully theres somebody with experience with these. Its seems like a great idea if u wanna keep ur scope on and not rely only on a barrel wrench and barrel nut wrench.

brian

mscott71
08-13-2011, 09:32 PM
There are one of those laying out on the table of my shop right now. They work pretty well, but some smiths say they can twist your action. For assembly they are fine, but removing a factory Remington barrel with one tests your nerves.

airaddict
08-13-2011, 09:37 PM
MScott,

Do they fit savage raceways? I dont think i would try one on a factory torqued barrel just cuz they got those super strong gorillas who really put some oommph to them....lol.

Brian

Cover Dog
08-13-2011, 10:53 PM
I bought a rear entry action wrench form Bench Source for a Savage action and had no problem removing a 31 year old factory barrel from a Savage "J" Series 22-250. I bought it new in 1979 so I know it was never off. I let it soak 24hrs after applying kroil and it came off with little trouble. I have the Bench Source barrel vise and I wrap the barrel with a 1-1/2" small strip if 1/8" leather and have yet to need anything else. Barrels come off without a mark.

Dano5001
08-14-2011, 06:20 PM
I have used a rear entry action wrench for a Remington 700 on a Stevens 200, Think I was a Davidsons, worked fine, FYI, a friend of mine shoots Surgeon rifles and uses the Davidson rear entry Rem 700 wrench Not the Surgeon wrench.

That said, in my opinion Surgeon builds top notch stuff.

airaddict
08-18-2011, 08:57 PM
I just got my Surgeon wrench from brownells today and it fits my model 12 action like a glove! this looks like it will be way easier to use than a regular action wrench. I just gotta get my 22-250AI group buy barrel from ER Shaw and i can test it out.

Brian

geargrinder
08-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Wish they made a LH version. Until then, I'll use the rear entry that I made myself.