PDA

View Full Version : Painting Scopes?

rbama1718
11-06-2009, 01:25 AM
I've noticed several people on here have nice paint jobs on their scopes. I was wondering if somebody could give me a step by step guide of what I need to do to paint my scope. Like what needs to be taped up, primer used, etc.

Thanks,
Bryant

dolomite_supafly
11-06-2009, 07:16 AM
As far as materials I use blue painters tape and pinstriping tape. You can use just blue painters tape but it can be a pain to trim when taping off turrets and such. The two sizes of pinstriping tape I use are 1/8" and 1/4" and seem to work for most jobs. The blue painters tape is for big areas like the objective and eye peice if you don't have covers, which I highly recommend you get.

Basically what I tape off are any numbers you might use. On my mildot scopes I tape off the magnification number I need for calculations and the max power setting. I put a small square of pinstriping tape over the 10x and another over the max setting of the scope. Then I tape off the numbers on the turret as well as the direction indicator using the pinstriping tape. If you have caps over your turrets then there is no need to tape anything off just leave the caps in place.

As far as paint goes I just use the same paint as I use on the gun. For me this is Krylon because it is easy to apply, easy to touch up and is quite durable once it has cured for a while.

Hope this helps
Dolomite

rbama1718
11-07-2009, 01:06 AM
Thanks buddy! That's exactly what I was looking for. This site is the best $12 I've ever spent.

Bryant