PDA

View Full Version : What rifle was it ?

bluealtered
08-13-2011, 10:14 AM
While looking around on 6mmbr about a month ago i came across a savage that was listed as an older model 110 flat back, it was ss, .308 and a factory fluted 20" barrel. The seller thought that it may have been a run made for one of the chain stores.
I missed getting it because of taking time for dinner, (i should have skipped that meal).

So i'm hoping someone here may remember when that model came out and maybe the model number so i can look for one or start collecting parts to build one. Thanks for any help, i know it's a lot to ask, but then theres a lot of very knowledgeable people here. blue

pdog06
08-13-2011, 04:05 PM
I remember the rifle when it was for sale over there also. I have never seen another factory 20" stainless fluted varmint barrel though. I was kinda wondering if it was special ordered from Savage that way.

psharon97
08-14-2011, 02:19 AM
I remember the rifle when it was for sale over there also. I have never seen another factory 20" stainless fluted varmint barrel though. I was kinda wondering if it was special ordered from Savage that way.

Could it have been a Standard SS barrel from say the model 12 target series, cut down to 20", with flutes cut down the barrel? Kinda sounds like custom work to me imo.

pdog06
08-14-2011, 12:22 PM

Could it have been a Standard SS barrel from say the model 12 target series, cut down to 20", with flutes cut down the barrel? Kinda sounds like custom work to me imo.

I thought of that, but if were a standard fluted barrel that was cut down, it would have definately been cut into the fluted portion of the barrel. This one had fluting stopping about 3-4 inches from the muzzle, just like a factory 26" one does. I also thought it could be an aftermarket barrel, but if I remember correctly the seller specifically stated that it was a factory Savage barrel.

bluealtered
08-14-2011, 12:38 PM
I have a photo of it sitting here next to me and it does very much look like a standard 26" fluted ss barrel, but it's 20" instead. blue