PDA

View Full Version : matchkings or blitzkings?

scott597
08-11-2011, 10:48 PM
whats a better all around choice for a coyote/paper puncher? i hear alot about both. i'm shooting a stevens (slightly modified) .243. std 1-9.25 twist. sierra's are getting hard to find in anything other than a 500 count box. i don't want to get stuck with a whole box of something i don't really like. i would like to use the same load for both varmint hunting and some occasional target shooting. what is a better bullet choice for a load such as this?

memilanuk
08-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Stock answer is Match Kings for paper, Blitz Kings for thin-skinned critters.

Real world... there's a lot of critters dead via Match Kings... ;)

If'n it were me, I'd just go w/ the Blitz Kings. Odds are good that you'll have a hard time really telling the difference on paper, and they've got the 'splat' factor going for them on varmints.

M.O.A.
08-12-2011, 05:33 AM
for me i use hornaday BTHP match witch are about the same as the matchkings and they do great drop yotes inthere tracks and punch the center out of tagets.

i have done penetration test with them and at or under 100yrs they do come apart but the peace still go all the way throw 7 2" phone books. this is with a 223 not 243 but they cant be that far off right

earl39
08-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Altho Sierra recommends not using Matchkings for hunting they will do a good job. Seems like everyone has forgotton that Berger said not to use target bullets for hunting until after a number of people reported back to Berger that their "TARGET" bullets created fast DRT kills. In my limited experience using matchkings for hunting they have given good penetration and i have never lost a deer using them. Now this is with 30 caliber bullets (175's) but i have to believe that 243 bullets would have no problem working just as well on yotes.

Gary

jlcpls
08-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Not sure if its a terminology thing or not, but there are match kings, game kings, blitzkings, and then the varminter or "blitz" (no king).

I've always had great success with the regular blitz's (varminters) out of my 222.

Damon
08-15-2011, 09:56 AM
anything from groundhogs to whitetails,(and theres several of us around here) use matchkings with devastating results.now with that being said i would use a different type bullet if i were say...grizzly bear hunting

earl39
08-15-2011, 12:00 PM
anything from groundhogs to whitetails,(and theres several of us around here) use matchkings with devastating results.now with that being said i would use a different type bullet if i were say...grizzly bear hunting

Yep and you wouldn't be using your trusty 243 either. but if you do wear little bells on your clothes so we can track the bear ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Damon
08-16-2011, 04:35 PM
i leave the small calibers to groundhogs and drag out the 338, 300 rum for whitetail. ;D

scott597
08-21-2011, 08:18 AM
these bullets were hard to find! nobody had them in stock for quite a while. midway finally had some available. went with the matchkings!

quickkillaught6
09-20-2011, 08:33 PM
i dont think you will be disapointed with your choice let us know how they shoot.. i use 52 smk's for hunting and paper punching out of a 223 using H-322 all 35 coyotes and 4 fox interviewed last year said they work extremely well for a DRT animal. I loaded 69smks for pd's this last year and found out the hard way after loading 1000 of them for my 1-9 that they have a dendancy to rhicochet. or just punch a .224 hole in a pd with no wow factor. i dont know what the diff. is with the 52 maybe fps but they do their job havent had an animal take a step after the shot yet.
just my .02

1Shot
09-20-2011, 08:48 PM
..I'ld use the 70gr BK's with a stiff dose of Varget myself...lol...