PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic to Thumbhole ?

sims5
08-11-2011, 09:56 PM
I have a Savage 12fv 22-250 that came with the Synthetic stock. I recently purchased a Boyds "Ross" Thumbhole Stock. When I tried to do the swap I ran into a couple issues I was hoping I could get some help on.

1st - The trigger guard bottoms out way before it is flush. (see pic) Do I need a different trigger guard? If so can you tell me which one I should ask for from Savage. The guy I spoke to today didn't know.

2nd - When I try and install the blind mag it will not fit. It looks like they left some extra material at the one end. Circled in red in the picture. I'm sure I can sand this out but I wanted to get some advice first.

3rd - Do I need to install metal pillars. Not sure how to get them out of my synthetic stock, don't seem to want to move.

thank you in advance for your help.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Boyds_stock_2.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Boyds_stock_1.JPG

TOO Builder
08-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Isn't there any more recess for the trigger guard? If that is all the farther it will go it wasn't cut deep enough.

If the area circled in red is contacting the blind mag just remove some material with a dremel or similar too.

Did you call Boyds and ask about the trigger guard inlet?

sims5
08-11-2011, 10:37 PM
The trigger guard is bottomed out in the picture. Boyds answer was "Savage makes several different trigger guards"

sharpshooter
08-11-2011, 11:17 PM
The trigger guard you have is a "transitional" guard. It was meant to be coupled with the Accustock style DBM magazine frame. The TG is deeper in the front to accomodate the hardware, only the stocks were not meant for the DBM hardware, so these gurards were made to rectify an oversight.
Just use a standard trigger guard. You also might want to check the action screw spacing, it looks light that stock could be for a stagger feed.

TOO Builder
08-11-2011, 11:41 PM
But even if he used a standard trigger guard it still doesn't look like the inlet is deep enough.

Approximately how deep is the inlet?

sims5
08-12-2011, 12:26 AM
The action spacing on the stock is 4.410"

The inlet is .340" in rear and .156" in the front.

When you say "traditional" trigger guard is what I need, how do I tell Savage which one. The guy on the phone today said the only ones they have for laminate stocks are stainless then he said maybe I needed one for a 10fp but he said could be a wide or narrow, depends on my serial number which I didn't have with me when I called. He also asked if my 12fv was a rimfire. Not sure he knew much.

keith934
08-13-2011, 04:15 PM
mine was just like that so i took a dremel to it and now the magazine and trigger guard both fit and still plenty of wood there.

sims5
08-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Did you use the screws from your synthetic stock? Did you install pillars?

sims5
09-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Decided to let my gunsmith fix the stock so the trigger guard and magazine would both work. Had him install pillars and bed it while he had it. Very happy with the results. Picture isn't the best but here it is.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Savage22-250_w_boyds_stock.JPG