PDA

View Full Version : barrel stuck in stephens action

nickquick
08-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Hey guys! New at this. I bought a stephens 200, got a wheeler action wrench and a savage barrel nut wrench. Was able to
get the barrel nut broken loose, but now I can't get the barrel to screw out of the action. Does anyone have ideas or solutions
for me to try? All help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

nrar15
08-11-2011, 08:00 PM
I would try soaking the threads in Kroil overnight use a hair dryer to heat the reciever and give it another try.

wbm
08-11-2011, 08:16 PM
What nrar15 said. Also put Kroil in the front base screw hole.

Be sure if you have scope bases on it that you loosen or take out the front screw on the forward base.

bootsmcguire
08-11-2011, 08:45 PM
+1 on both the above posts, having a long scope base screw will act as a set screw and you'll have a heck of a time getting the barrel out as long as the screw is tight.

Nor Cal Mikie
08-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Make sure the action wrench is "not" attatched to the action. Had one that squeezed the action enough to keep the barrel from turning. Barrel actually squeaked when turning till you loosened the wrench. After the wrench was removed, the barrel spun out real easy.

Eric in NC
08-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Also put Kroil in the front base screw hole.

Be sure if you have scope bases on it that you loosen or take out the front screw on the forward base.

+1 - bet that is the issue.

nickquick
08-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks guys. Ya'll are awesome. Tried the kriol first. No dice. Then loosed the action and bingo the barrel screwed out easy.
I'm sure I'll have some more questions, but for now you helped me get around this detour. Trying to get this rifle ready for
deer season. Up graded barrel to a shilen with a number 4 contour, 24 inches long in 7m-08. Stock will be a duramax.
Thanks again. Nickquick

Nor Cal Mikie
08-12-2011, 08:25 PM
I never would have thought about the action wrench being able to distort the action enough to keep the barrel from moving till it happened to me. One reason I don't bother to use my action wrench anymore. ;) Glad the tip worked. 8)