PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Mis-Match?

Tom Kirkman
08-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Purchased a Savage LRP in 6.5 Creedmore back in the Spring. While looking over the new rifle, I noticed that the front locking lug on the bolt had some punch marks from what appeared to be where the pin was pushed/hammered in. Not a big deal, just a bit of sloppy work I thought.

I photographed it and sent it to Savage just so they'd be aware of the issue, if it was really any issue at all. Within a couple days I got a call from a service person at Savage who told me not to fire the gun and return it immediately to them. I did.

When the gun arrived back about a week later, it appeared that the only thing done to it was some grinding/polishing of the bolt in that area so that the hammer or punch marks were almost gone. Not sure what that was all about since I wasn't worried about the cosmetics anyway. However, as I was mounting a scope and preparing to shoot it (next week) I happened to notice that the amount of material ground/polished off the bolt to rid it of those marks was enough so that there is now a slight mismatch in size between the two locking lugs. The second lug is slightly larger on the bottom, although the protruding edge is polished and the action works fine.

My question is, will this slight mismatch in size result in any less accuracy or longevity from the rifle?

jinx-)
08-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Hard to say without looking at what you face... I had issue with cratering and primer punctures, but I adjusted firing pin and its almost gone now, but I will send my bolt to get bushed, its probably good idea for you to do the same...

sharpshooter
08-11-2011, 11:07 PM
My question is, will this slight mismatch in size result in any less accuracy or longevity from the rifle?

Basically...no. Go shoot it and have fun.

Tom Kirkman
08-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks. I really didn't see what difference the lug piece being a little small would make. The bolt would still close on the shell in the same manner.