PDA

View Full Version : Savage Bolt head plunger spring-----Lost-----quick question

youngtrout
08-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Hello

Well thought I was doing pretty good in my 260 build, had everything headspaced and ready to go hours after getting barrel in mail, prebedded action, etc. I go to put the bolt back together and for the life of me can't come up with the plunger/ejector spring.

I know I can get the thing ordered, but had a couple quick questions.

1. Its still safe to fire, correct? Its just not going to eject a round for nothing I realize.

2. Anyone had this happen and came up with a local fix. Been to a couple hardware stores, way too small a spring for them. Even went into a hobby store. Tried a spring from a 1911 rebuild kit, no dice.

Anyone ever make due with a different spring and where did you get it.

Thanks, figured its worth asking, like to get some loads worked up this weekend, hence question 1, and figure I might not have been the first guy to loose one, hence question 2

gotcha
08-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Youngtrout, This story sounds fishy........... Sorry, couldn't help myself. You're in luck I've got a few extras. PM me w/ your mailing address & I'll drop one in an envelope. Your rifle is perfectly safe w/o the ejector. Just have to pick the empties out of the action w/ finger tip. Be sure you need EJECTOR spring not extractor spring. Dale P.S. also have fresh drift pins for the ejector, could you use one of them too? No charge. Just return the favor to a fellow shooter someday.

Bulletproof
08-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Try to rewind a ball point pen spring to get by with for a few days, or find some music wire to wind a spring with.

youngtrout
08-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Gotcha, PM Sent

On the ball point pen thing, gave that a go, it at least did not go well for me.

I was looking in anything I though might have a spring in it last night,,,,,no substitute for the correct one though

SMK Shoe
08-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Do you have a savage shooting friend close by, If so, ask to hold on to his bolt over night so you can " figure out how to put your's back together" ::) ::) and presto, your's is fixed and his spring must have fallen out and been lost. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Seriously, I try to keep a small box on hand with a couple of ever small part for the bolt and rifle. cost me about 40$ thru Midway, but can rebuild three bolts with the extra parts. I found out you will never loose a small part if you have the replacement on the shelf, you only loose parts that you only have one of. If it's the ejector spring, I don't have a ejector in either of my bench guns. Saves me from chasing brass on the concrete floor at the range.

mugsie
08-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Gotcha - that was very nice of you. You make me proud to be a part of this forum. Thank you again.

Now for a little story: When I was in the service, back in the 60's, I was home on leave. Since I didn't have any civies, and because I was so proud of my unit, that I wore my uniform just about everywhere. One evening I was taking my then girlfriend (now my wife) out to dinner. We went to a restaurant, ordered, and while we were eating the waiter came over and said "that gentleman over there sent you a drink". I never forgot that small act of kindness, and everytime I see a service member I try to repay it in some measure.

Gotcha - you reminded me of that story again after reading your post. Thanks again.

gotcha
08-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Thanx, Mugsie ! I'm startin' to tear up & their splashin' all over my "Kill a Commie for Mommy" T-shirt. :'( ................. Jist kiddin' :D