PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: New Mark II Owner Question?

Soonlobo
08-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Just put a Mark II FSS on layaway! First Savage rimfire, love my Savage .308 and it's Accutrigger and Accustock.

Question for those with the stainless .22 barrel, which ammo? I like the CCI and Remington my son and I shoot from his Ruger 10-22.

Opinions?

LabRat2k3
08-10-2011, 01:00 AM
Mines not SS but it likes CCI greentag and loves Wolf Match Extra. It will shoot most anything with hunting accuracy, but the Wolf MX makes the smallest groups if I'm target shooting.

Soonlobo
08-10-2011, 01:42 AM
Thanks!

Since this is my first stainless barrel out of seven rifles I've owned I'm curious as to how different it may be. Should be fun! :D

thomae
08-10-2011, 10:11 AM
.22 LR firearms are notoriously "picky, " some more than others.
Although I have never met a rifle or pistol that wouldn't shoot Eley10-X well, it is a bit too expensive for most people.

Your best bet is to try a lot of different types of ammo until you find one that your rifle likes. Even if I have the exact same rifle as you, mine might shoot better with a different brand of ammo.

Personally, (Sweeping generalization follows, watch out!) I have had better accuracy with standard/target and/or subsonic rounds in my .22 rifles and pistols. YMMV.

Have fun figuring it out! It simply means more range time! :D

noelfr
08-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Remington subsonic works very well. Seems to be the best of the reasonably priced ammo in my rifle.

gruvmann
08-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Ditto on the Remington subsonics... not too costly and quite consistent for targets. For hunting, CCI has been great.

One that hasn't worked well (in my rifle- MKII FV- is the Aguila Super Maximum; sometimes it wouldn't extract. Groups weren't tight anyway...

Just picked up some Remington Yellow Jacket 33 gr and I'm going to see how they do. Squirrel season begins in 15 days...

I agree with thomae; try a large variety and you'll find what works best.

Soonlobo
08-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Have taken the new Mark II FSS out twice using several different "bulk" rounds. The rounds used over two trips to the range were CCI Mini Mags, Winchester Super X, Remington Thunderbolts, and Federal Champions.

The CCi Mini Mags and Federal Champions shoot best through this tube so far. Remington brand was better than Winchester, but not by much.

First day used the CCI's at 25 yards with my son shooting half the time. We both shot several 1/2" or less groups.

Today I tested the others at 50 yards. Not a completely fair test, but it was obvious the Federals shot much better than the other two. The Winchester especially was bad, with two duds.

I'll head back to the range Friday with some new Wolf Match and CCI Green Tag and test them as well as the Mini Mags at 50 yards. Can't wait! ;D

TOP PREDATOR
08-23-2011, 07:58 PM
you'll like the wolf match, once you shoot that you wront go back to the other stuff.

as far as other lower priced alternatives, CCI blazers (high velocity) worked well for me both in my F and BV models, and CCI std vel seems to be my new plinker-hinging on match worthy ammo for 24.99 a brick at dicks sporting goods.

if you can afford to keep feeding it the wolf, that's probably what you'll end up with.

as commented before, the rimfires are sometimes finicky and what works well in one rifle may not work as well in another even the same model and make of rifle.

rem sub sonics worked well for me to out to about 75 yards then groups fell to pieces at 100.

federal gold medal (red box) also shot well, and so did aguila match rifle (black box).

Soonlobo
08-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Just got the Wolf and CCI match bullets from the man in the brown truck.

A quick glance shows they are both high quality, pristine cases, flawless bullets, and thicker rims that my Mark II seems to prefer. Looking forward to Friday morning at the range!

Soonlobo
08-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Took the Mark II to the range. Temperature 95 degrees at 11 am. :o. Alternated shooting each 40 gr .22LR bullet in the stainless barrel.

Tried to pause 30 seconds between shots to keep the barrel from getting too hot.

Results:

Wolf Match.

2 three shot 3/16" groups with a hot barrel
1 four shot 1/4" group
2 three shot 1/4" groups
2 three shot 3/16" groups cold barrel

Elley

2 four shot 1/4" groups
2 three shot 1/4" groups
1 three shot 5/16" group

CCI Select Precision

1 four shot 3/16" group
1 four shot 1/4" group
1 three shot 5/16" group
1 four shot 3/8" group

Federal Gold Match Medal

Results were horrible. Five fliers out of 20 shots. Best group was 9/16"

CCI's had 2 fliers in 20 shots. Wolf had three fliers (all on first shots). Elley had only one flier.

Looks like Wolf, Elley, and CCI Select Precision are all great choices.

Thanks for the input!

Ellet

Rifleman51
09-17-2011, 11:27 PM
I also use the Wolf MT. For cheaper ammo, try the Automatch, about 1/4" larger groups than the Wolf.
First round shots always seem to be off a little. Load 6 in a 10 Rn Mag or load one in the chamber and put another round in the 5 round mag and fire the first shot off to the side. The other 5 will give you a nice group. Kinda makes me mad to have to do it this way, but it works and my BRJ is dead nuts accurate with the exception of the first shot.
Since I target shoot, I can live with it.
John

Soonlobo
09-18-2011, 12:03 AM
I also use the Wolf MT. For cheaper ammo, try the Automatch, about 1/4" larger groups than the Wolf.
First round shots always seem to be off a little. Load 6 in a 10 Rn Mag or load one in the chamber and put another round in the 5 round mag and fire the first shot off to the side. The other 5 will give you a nice group. Kinda makes me mad to have to do it this way, but it works and my BRJ is dead nuts accurate with the exception of the first shot.
Since I target shoot, I can live with it.
John

Why do these mags do this? Savage should fix this, if so many are having the same problem.