PDA

View Full Version : F/TR

hank440
11-05-2009, 10:07 AM
So what do you guys think about cutting 4-5" off the end of this 30" barrel ? Does it really need this much barrel to be competitive ?

savageboy
11-05-2009, 11:28 AM
What are you trying to accomplish by cutting it down? Weight reduction, etc?

Jamie
11-05-2009, 02:41 PM
So what do you guys think about cutting 4-5" off the end of this 30" barrel ? Does it really need this much barrel to be competitive ?

NO it does not need to 30" to be compettitive. A shorter will flex less and the the less weight will take off a little stress on the action. A lot of 300 yard comps use very short barrels because of this. You should have no problem getting it out there with a 26" barrel.

hank440
11-05-2009, 08:04 PM
savageboy

I'm just trying to get it in my rifle case without having to buy another but now i'm told walmart has one that it will fit into :o

savageboy
11-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Got it

hank440
11-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Whew freakin Wallyworld was packed but I did get a cheap case i can transport it in

Thanks guys ;D

sharpshooter
11-06-2009, 02:14 AM
I've cut several of the FT/R's down to 26" and they not only handled better, they shot better.

hank440
11-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Really WOW I intend to send it to you anyway when the $$$ comes together to have it T&T so maybe I will have it shortened.

Do they shoot better because of less whip and stiffer with the shorter barrel ?

usngunner
11-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Seriously, I would just get a shorter barrel and leave that one alone. It's going to have to come off anyway to cut it. You might as well get a dedicated shorter barrel, then you have a spare if needed.

To answer your last question, yes. Less stress on the action and less leverage to whip the barrel around. The harmonics are reduced in a shorter barrel as well.

hank440
11-07-2009, 01:13 PM
How short can I go and still retain enough velocity to remain competitive in F/TR ?

memilanuk
11-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Well... as with most things in this sport... "it depends". ::)

I've punched 155gr bullets out @ 2940-2950 (standard 'Palma' velocities with 30" barrels are 2950-3050fps) from 26" factory tubes - one Remingon, and one Savage. I've ran them like that out of several 30" barrels - an old Kreiger, a Broughton 5C, and 3-4 Savage F/TR & Palma tubes. Generally speaking... you don't have to push quite as hard to get the velocity out of a longer barrel. The flip side is that there is some convincing evidence that shorter stouter *stiffer* barrels can be *very* accurate.

Emil Praslick (a very, very good shooter & coach from the US AMU) took fourth in the 2009 FCNC F/TR division with a 22" tactical rifle running S190MKs, IIRC. Then again, Sgt Praslick is one of those shooters who I wouldn't bet much money against if he walked up to the line with an old rusty lever action... i.e. just because he did it doesn't mean its something I'd recommend as a general practice.

24-26" is probably cutting your margin of error about as close as I'd care for. Part of the goal is to not just keep the bullets above the sound barrier (roughly 1130fps, give or take some depending on the temperature, etc.) but to stay as far up above the trans-sonic region where turbulence starts to build as the bullet decelerates. Generally trying to stay above 1300fps is considered a 'Good Thing' if at all possible.

If you plan on going with a shorter barrel length, I'd suggest trying a couple different combos including 155s at as high a speed as you can get, 175s, 185s, etc. It is correct that you don't lose very much in the way of fps per inch in those last 4-5 inches... but it is 'free' velocity that you already have in hand. Many times you can run a similar velocity from shorter barrels - but barring a 'fast' barrel you may find that you have to push harder (and shorten brass life) to do so. It's a give-n-take sort of affair.

Monte