PDA

View Full Version : accutrigger on a non-equipped model

wprep
08-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Does anyone know if Savage will sell you, or if it will even fit, an accutrigger, or a muzzle break on a 300 win mag 111? This is my first Savage, and I did not know what I did not know when I bought it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

tyler.woodard04
08-07-2011, 03:56 PM
They will not sell only to a ffl folder

M.O.A.
08-07-2011, 04:00 PM
i read some where that the accutriger will not fit nonaccutriger models as for the break you can get after markets that do a better job than the savage break

wprep
08-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Okay, any one have an idea for an aftermarket trigger or brake that is reasonable and of high quality. I figure that I can do the whole trial and error thing, or I can get the info from folks with experience and save some dough. I want to get started on long-range shooting and from what I have read, this cartridge and platform are a good first attempt. Again, thank you for your insight.

Bill

wprep
08-07-2011, 05:43 PM
I just emailed Sharp Shooter supply to see if they have any products and/or suggestions. I found them from some other posts.

airaddict
08-07-2011, 07:11 PM
i put a shrewd brake on mine from brownells. cost me about $35 and another $50 to contour to barrel (which was only a few thousands of an inch) and have the exit hole reamed out to .338 for my 308 since they are sold already reamed for 224 only. there are pics of the brake under the pic posting under the title "model 16 renovations".

havent shot it yet, but my gunsmith who bedded it said he has known a lot of people who use them and like them cuz they have a forward rake on the holes and push the gas and noise forward instead of up and back while still helping reduce recoil. not as good as rear raked holes but u cant have ur cake and eat it too, somethings gotta give...lol.

brian

wprep
08-07-2011, 07:48 PM
put a shrewd brake on mine from brownells. cost me about $35 and another $50 to contour to barrel (which was only a few thousands of an inch) and have the exit hole reamed out to .338 for my 308 since they are sold already reamed for 224 only. there are pics of the brake under the pic posting under the title "model 16 renovations".

havent shot it yet, but my gunsmith who bedded it said he has known a lot of people who use them and like them cuz they have a forward rake on the holes and push the gas and noise forward instead of up and back while still helping reduce recoil. not as good as rear raked holes but u cant have ur cake and eat it too, somethings gotta give...lol.

brian

Thanks Brian,
I read another post and someone put a Holland on a 300 RUM and recommends it highly.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6905/avs|Manufacturer_1=HOLLANDS%20GUNSMITHING/Product/QUICK_DISCHARGE_BRAKE

I would think if it worked well on the RUM it would kick butt on the Win mag?

Thanks for your input, if you think about it, please let me know how it shoots...

Bill

17 rem savage
08-07-2011, 08:50 PM
midwest hunter supply has them for 265.00 with free shipping. thats in a 7mm08

sorry guys wrong post. lol

rinodods
08-08-2011, 05:51 AM
Check out the sharp shooter supply trigger at brownells for tacticalworks.com . Same ones sharpshooter sells but you wont have to wait a week to talk to someone. Price is right as well.

Eric in NC
08-08-2011, 08:13 PM
You CAN put an accutrigger on a non-accutrigger gun. Classified ads here would be a good place to look for one. As for a brake - don't know, don't like em. Get a good stock, add weight if you need to and go with it from there (my opinion of course).

wprep
08-10-2011, 06:55 PM
I emailed SSS and they said that you cannot retrofit a non-acctrigger model to accutrigger. Are they wrong or do they just not carry them, so they said it won't fit? I have heard pros and cons about the break. I do not really want a heavier gone as I intend to hunt with it. Thanks for the input.

axio
08-10-2011, 07:22 PM
I'll second what's already been said, the SSS trigger is a good one...

psharon97
08-10-2011, 07:30 PM
If I were in your shoes, I would get a Competition trigger from them and then install that trigger. No retrofitting required.

As far as a brake: A good brake will help reduce the recoil but there is a cost involved. Noise...the gun will be very loud, and the shooters around you will not like you shooting a 300 win mag with a break on at the range (if you plan on shooting at the range around lots of people)

Nor Cal Mikie
08-10-2011, 10:12 PM
As far as triggers, consider a Rifle Basix. Either 1 or 2. 1 would be better for a hunting situation.
As far as a brake, you're not shooting 200 rounds off a bench at the range.
Get it sighted in and forget about the brake. The "near by" shooters will love you for that decision.
Recoil reduction? They work but they're twice as noisey. Hearing protection is a "must". Not good for a hunting situation.
Concussion? You bet! If you're shooting prone, expect it to kick up lots of dirt.

wbm
08-10-2011, 10:37 PM
i put a shrewd brake on mine from brownells

+1 on the Shrewd brakes. That's all I use. They work and they don't cost a fortune.

rinodods
08-11-2011, 12:54 AM
I've put a couple accu's on newer centerfeed guns that did not come with them. They take some tweaking but work just great. I like the SSS trigger more but you can't beat a cheap accu-trigger. You'll have to pay a lot of attention to getting the safety set just right with the adjustment screw. Just make sure you test the heck out of it before you take it out to the range. Same goes for the SSS installed trigger. I will say though that the last SSS trigger I got through Brownells was very roughly machined. There were tooling marks all over and the back of the trigger that the bolt release rides against made some bad noise because of how rough it was. It works well but wasn't near the quality of the first one I got a couple years ago.

M.O.A.
08-11-2011, 01:01 AM
i like the timney triggers my self and the rifle basix is a close second