PDA

View Full Version : Nosler E tips

handirifle
08-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Well, got my little "J" series out to give it a try this deer season. Was born as a 243 but now lives life with a target crowned 20" 308 barrel (self shortened and crowned).

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n82/handirifle/DSCN1798.jpg

I took it to the range a couple days ago, with some loads of 150gr Nosler Etips, pushed by IMR 4895. Am pretty sure I found a sweet load for it, but it's hard to be sure since the scope took a dump on me. >:(

I say hard to tell, cause I would get a 3 shot group measuring 1/2 to 3/4" across (some 1/2 some 3/4") and when I tried to adjust POI over by 1.5" it would move 4-5", very frustrating, especially since money is very short, and so are the bullets available.

When i got home, I pulled the 2-7 Burris off another rifle, and got it set up on the "J". Will get back to the range again soon, but only have a few shots to spare. I have some lead core (not legal to hunt with here in kalifornia) and will use those to get it close, so that will save some ammo.

I set them up to be .050" off the lands, and that sure seems to be the sweet spot. I tried some barnes TSX's through this same rifle and 2-3" groups seem to be the norm. Not sure why, guess it just didn't seem to like em.

handirifle
08-11-2011, 03:15 AM
Goin back to the range tomorrow, with the Burris mounted, so will see what it really groups like.

Anyone else use the E tips yet?

airaddict
08-11-2011, 01:21 PM
no e-tips but i do use hornady GMX in 150gr.

i considered getting a box this year to test them out. i wish they made these lead free ones for smaller calibers like the 22. i think these r easier to swap data with unlike the barnes bullets.

brian

trailrider121
08-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Try seating them farther off the lands. most are having good luck with .100-.120" off the lands.

handirifle
08-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Yea I do too (the smaller caliber bullets).

I will try seating them deeper, but it will have to wait. Running short on bullets, and the season opens this Sat, so a hunting I will go.....

Went back today, and am getting between 1-1.5" for 3 shots. Hard to say exactly cause ammo was short, but got it zeroed 1.5" high at 100. Took one shot each at the steel targets at 200 and 300. They are 8" in diameter, and i nailed each one first shot, so I am good to go.