PDA

View Full Version : Parts for 110 J Series

MtnCreek
08-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Well, it looks like I jumped the gun a little (pun intended). I have a 110 action stripped, blasted and ready to park. This was a 110 / .308 (long bolt throw / short action) ‘tactical’ w/ a 20” heavy contour barrel. It came as a blind mag, stagger feed.

I contacted Sharp Shooter Supply today wanting to purchase a DBM unit for this action. I was informed that I have a J Series with a 4.522 bolt spacing and there is little to no aftermarket support for these actions.

Does anyone here know of a quality DBM unit for this action? I spoke with McMillan and they have no issues with the bolt spacing, they just need my bottom metal to produce the stock. Please advise.

Edit, Additional Information: Serial # F492XXX. CDI does not support this bolt spacing. I called Savage and they were Zero help.

Thanks,
MtnCreek

thirty06
08-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Have you measured your action screw spacing to see what it is?
Not all short action calibers on the 110 action have the 4.522 spacing.
Have a .223 on 110 thats standard 5in. spacing.

MtnCreek
08-04-2011, 06:35 PM
I just got my hands on the reciever and it measuers +/- 5.08". It's a 'long action'; the mag well is cut from the feed ramp to about 0.8" from the backstrap of the reciever (otherwise it would look just like a 30-06, ...). Any ideas how this changes my search for a DBM?

Thanks!
MtnCreek

geargrinder
08-04-2011, 11:29 PM
Have someone mill the mag opening to match the mag opening of a centerfeed. Then you can use the stock of your choice that inlets for the factory HFP or DBM.

Or, you could just run it as a single shot. I'm using a LH version of the same action for my 338 Edge.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/S8001327.jpg

MtnCreek
08-05-2011, 11:21 AM
I think I found what I'm looking for. I talked to a guy at Stockade Gunstocks and he said he can fix me up! I haven't seen his work, but he sounds like a really knowledgeable guy.

Thanks for the responses!
MtnCreek

geargrinder
08-05-2011, 12:35 PM
That would be Kevin Rahill. The stock on my rifle above is a Stockade. Knowing Kevin, you had a lengthy conversation. ;D

MtnCreek
08-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Yes sir, we did. I think that’s the same stock he’s going to put on my rifle (Prairie Dog). It sounds like you guys here already know him and his work, but if I remember, I’ll post a couple of photos and comments when I get the rifle back in 3 months or so.

Thanks!

Nor Cal Mikie
08-09-2011, 10:08 AM
No such thing as a "one piece" mount for the "J". I know, I looked for a long time.
Finally rounded up a few one piece Leupold mounts with the rear windage adjustment, shipped them off to Dan Armstrong in Alaska and had him build me a "custom" one piece mount. He cut, pieced and welded one up and it turned out looking like it was factory made. And I had it back in less than a week. 8)
And, just about any stock can be modified to fit the "J" actions by moving the front screw hole forward. I've done a couple that way and they came out looking real good. ;)

geargrinder
08-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Mikie, he found out it wasn't a J. It is just a 110 long action with the short action mag opening.

Nor Cal Mikie
08-09-2011, 08:54 PM
That sure changes the subject of this thread. ;)

Netz
08-09-2011, 10:20 PM
No such thing as a "one piece" mount for the "J". I know, I looked for a long time.
Finally rounded up a few one piece Leupold mounts with the rear windage adjustment, shipped them off to Dan Armstrong in Alaska and had him build me a "custom" one piece mount. He cut, pieced and welded one up and it turned out looking like it was factory made. And I had it back in less than a week. 8)
And, just about any stock can be modified to fit the "J" actions by moving the front screw hole forward. I've done a couple that way and they came out looking real good. ;)

EGW makes then, I have a 20 moa on mine.
Look at EGW's web site and it will say "Medium", they even gave me a call to verify the screw spacing.
Curt

http://www.egwguns.com/savage/savage-flat-back-picatinny-scope-mount/

Nor Cal Mikie
08-10-2011, 12:31 AM
I wanted a "one piece base" with the adjustable rear windage. And mine fits like it was made for it. ;D
Every mount I found hung over the port and didn't use "all" the screw holes in the action. And the EGW mount doesn't use the type on mounts I wanted. Like I said before, I looked. One size fits all wouldn't get it for me. :(

Netz
08-10-2011, 02:57 PM
No the EGW does not have adjustable windage, but it is not a one-size fits all, they are made to fit the medium action, and they do use all 4 screw holes, it's a mice piece if your looking for that style mount.
Curt

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a92/Netz_/100_7889.jpg

Nor Cal Mikie
08-10-2011, 08:16 PM
I guess I should have said "There wasn't a "One Piece" mount for the "J" action
in the style I was looking for at the time. And that was probably at least a year ago if not longer.
I'll say this, that is one of the better looking mounts I've seen and it doesn't cover the port like 99% of the ones I ordered and sent back.
Most hung over the front and didn't use all the screw holes in the action and were too short.
By the # listed on all the mounts I looked at, they were either too long or too short. And I must have ordered and returned at least 5 different mounts.
And I've seen it happen before that you didn't have enough windage adjustment in the scope so I wanted to get the scope straight and in line before I had to make any internal scope adjustments.

Netz
08-10-2011, 09:40 PM
I haven't shot this rifle in this configuration, but I don't anticipate any windage problems, If I do encounter them then I will probably switch the rings to the Burris Sig rings.
Curt

Nor Cal Mikie
08-10-2011, 09:47 PM
The main reason I went with the "rear windage" adjustment mount was because "some" of the Savage actions were known to be a little off?
Things like "it shoots 10" to the right? Just planned ahead a little. ;) Tried to head off any unseen problems before they became an issue.
If you're shoots straight, you've got it made. ;D

Nor Cal Mikie
08-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Curt: As a "Basic Member" I'am not sure you can get PMs. Check yours and see, Mike.