PDA

View Full Version : type of finish on new build

870 ExpressMag
08-03-2011, 02:12 PM
i was wondering what you guys all do for finish on rifles that you build? i know that an increasing amount of people are using SS, i opted for chrome moly because i am not a huge fan of SS. I was going to have everything blued, but the guy that was supposed to do it lost interest. blueing equipment seems like a big investment to do one rifle, so i was curious what you guys do for finishes on your new rifle builds? do you do them yourself? or have someone else do em? what types of finishes are best for doing at home? looking for a good durable finish thats still attractive. really like high polished blue, but....

MT4065
08-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Right there with you man. My local gunsmitty (also friend ) is mad at me for finally gettin arround to building SAVAGES. So Im just getting ready to cerakote one myself to futher annoy him. Investment so far as follows,
Can aerosol Cerama Coat from Midway 24.00
Media blast gun Harbour Frt 24.95
Alum Oxide powder Har Frt 8.00

Gettin ready to do action only as tube is ss will send you results if u wish.

Frank.

Eric in NC
08-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Duracoat is also a pretty easy option - need an air brush and little compressor or detail gun and HVLP air.

870 ExpressMag
08-03-2011, 04:42 PM
MT, yes i would like to see results when finished. Anyone else used these coatings or others and have results to show..and afterwards did you like the durability and look of them, or were you disappointed in the results over time?

airaddict
08-03-2011, 07:51 PM
im considering cera-kote on mine. im starting a build and am looking for a donor action to suite my needs but am not really hip to the price of stainless....not to mention i already have one in stainless. besides the new build will have stainless barrel.

anyway....ill get a blued rifle and blast the bluing off it and send it out to be sprayed. i used a company (KYGUNCOAT) which i found on gunbroker a while back to spray a mossberg 500 barrel and mag tube for about $75. i hope he will do a stripped action and bolt for $60 or so. the finish came out great and its supposed to be very thin coating and super durable.

or u can nitride it for about $100 and never worry about corrosion ever again....or scratches....lol.

im still up in the air about which i should do.

brian