PDA

View Full Version : ejection problems .223 Savage 110 LH

Vharis19
07-30-2011, 05:49 PM
:( I picked up a Left hand .223 110 savage. It will not eject a fired case properly. After the shell comes out of the chamber it just lays on top of the magazine. An unfired case works better. The ejection hook and the plunger seem to be fine. I even swapped the ones from my .243 Savage left hand 110 to see if that would cure the problem. It did not. I have a suspicion that the bolt head is slightly too big. If someone out there thinks that the bolt head is too big how do I get another or make it work? I would appreciate any clues as to why the fired case will not eject away from the rifle and magazine?

Thanks,

Brent

GaCop
08-01-2011, 06:27 AM
Sometimes a larger detent ball improves extraction. Many bolt heads are sloppy and don't hold the case securely. Fred at Sharp Shooter Supply can supply you with a better BH and longer extractor. They're not easy to get on the phone and e-mails are not always answered BUT, once you get a hold of Lisa, she will help you out.

M.O.A.
08-01-2011, 04:42 PM
it sounds to like you not pulling the bolt back hard enough just an opinion

jonsrm125k5
08-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Have you tried taking the barrel off? If the chamber has a burr or imperfection that doesnt allow the case to expand properly. Also, try headspacing it for the same reason.
Other than those factors... I know Midway USA has some with the measurement on the description. Measure your bolt face and if it isnt the same as mentioned on Midway, or any other reputable source, then call savage. Thats about all I can think of.

Bulletproof
08-01-2011, 07:44 PM
I had this same problem with my FCV12 (.223).
If you remove the bolt, I think you will find that the extractor does not return to the same place if you move it inward or outward. You can mark the extractor, then move it back and forth. I think you will find that it does not always return to the same location. In other words, the extractor drags. If the extractor drags, it does not fully grab the end of the cartridge each time, and the cartridge just falls out of the bolt face.

I removed the extractor (careful removing the little steel ball and spring). Clean the bolt, spring hole, extractor, with a solvent. Then I used Mobil 1 grease on the spring, ball, back and sides of the extractor. Install the extractor and again push it back and forth to see if it returns to the same position. After using the grease on my extractor I have not had a single failure in the last 150 rounds.

Later,

gotcha
08-02-2011, 01:47 PM
vharis, I'm going to assume you cleaned & lubed yur extractor when you swapped in the .243 extractor. .............. I've got a Mod. 12 sing. shot in 223. I use Rem.( .377" head dia. ) & LC '09 Brass (.373" head dia.) My bolt face I.D. is .381". Both cases feed flawlessly even w/ the variance in head dia. The dimension variance is typical for Mil spec vs. commercial brass. Hope this will shed some light on the problem. I suspect your bolt face is a bit large but I could be wrong....... You can get a new bolt face from Savage or Midway. If you get a new bolt face check the ejector hole interior for galling........... Galling will effect plunger spring performance & lead to yet another round ( pardon the pun) of difficulties. Keep us posted! Dale

Vharis19
08-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Thanks to all. I am going to replace the ejector and extractor and the springs , lube it up properly and put a .140 detent ball under the extractor. This is all based on your input. If that doesn't work I will replace the bolt head. If that doesn't work I will be back asking questions. I let you know how it goes.

Thanks,