PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a long action left handed bolt for 223

Reload1
07-29-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm considering building a switch barrel on a long action I already have. My plan is to nake it able to shoot 204 through 22BR. So thinking I will need two bolts. Midway has most of the parts listed but not all. I have a body and firing pin for a short but not sure what all or will not swap so thinking I should just buy a whole bolt. Where is the best place to find one. I'm fine with a used one in good condition. Let me know,

Thanks,

Bill R.

82boy
07-29-2011, 01:56 PM
To start, there is a difference in short action and long action bolt heads. To use a 223 on a long action you need to either find one of the old 223 long action bolt heads, (Like finding a needle in a hay stack.) or use a Sharp Shooters supply conversion, to use a short action bolt head on a long action. The 22BR would use a standard .473 bolt head. (Like used on a 30/06, 270 308 ETC.) The other thing is with the simplicity of the Savage design there is no need to have two bolts, it should only take you an extra 5 minutes to change out the bolt heads. Also to add it is easier than finding a bolt that will properly fit your action, or making an second bolt fit properly.

Reload1
07-29-2011, 02:29 PM
82boy, thanks for the info. I will check into that. Would still like to have two bolts ready but may give me a good option.

Bill R.

geargrinder
07-29-2011, 09:29 PM
I've only seen one left hand long action 223 bolt head come on the market. It is currently in my possession.

I've read that long action bolt heads can be modified to work in a short action by trimming .190" off of the tail. So, in my mind, I cannot see what would need to be done to add .190" to a short action bolt head to make it work in a long action. Or, if modification is needed at all.