PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!

adam330
07-28-2011, 11:40 PM
I am having issues with my rifle, particularly my action and barrel. I have a stevens 200 action with a McGowen barrel and a choate tactical stock. The problem i am having is when i set the barreled action into the stock the tang lifts away from the stock and the end of the barrel drops down and rest on the stock. If i press down on the tang to raise the barrel and tighten the rear action screw (thinking it will keep the barrel up off the stock) i can still pivot the action/ barrel causing it to make contact again. Also if i tighten the front action screw it pulls the barrel down into the stock also. Im lost and have no idea what to do to fix this. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

dcloco
07-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Something on the bottom of the action (more than likely in the trigger or mag well area) is causing the interference.

Some white chalk (pink, light green, blue, ....you get the idea) rubbed on the action will help pin point the problem area. Set the action in the stock, rock back and forth, pull the action, and look for your favorite color.

Handloader
07-29-2011, 06:47 AM
If you replaced the Recoil Lug, the larger-differently angle recoil lug may be hitting/bottoming out. I have had this happen too me.
I had to open up the sides of the stock where the recoil lug sits (then bed it....).

ellobo
07-30-2011, 12:19 AM
Sounds like it is rocking on the bottom of the recoil lug as a pivot point. Try taking some off the lug. Or put that color on th bottom of the lug to see if it is bottoming out. The wifes lipstick works well also.
El Lobo

pdog06
07-31-2011, 05:43 AM
Also, when you install the barreled action into the stock, it is much easier to stand the rifle upright onto the recoil pad. This will allow the recoil lug to make full contact with the stock, and will hold the action in the correct place while you tighten the screws.

KAZ
07-31-2011, 09:32 AM
What pdog06 said as that recoil lug fit is critical and sometimes it is easier to see what is going on with the action/stock. regards