PDA

View Full Version : Oh no, what did I do?

Samdweezel05
07-27-2011, 08:04 PM
I was getting ready to load up some rounds for the new 6br (Norma) and I looked at the redding die box and I have 6mmbr remington dies. Never even looked at it before. I ordered them from midway and paid no attention to it as it was the only 6br dies they had listed. I just assumed.....yeah, this is perfect.

bootsmcguire
07-27-2011, 08:13 PM
As I understand it the only difference in the Rem and Norma is the neck length so wouldn't the Rem dies you have still work since the shoulder is in the same place?

Maybe I am way off or totally wrong.

Boots

82boy
07-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Your dies are fine. That is the right die.
Now if we could talk you out of buying redding dies.:)

Nor Cal Mikie
07-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Lots of the mfgrs. are still marking their 6BR dies as "Remington". You may in fact have the Lapua/Norma spec dies. Do some checking. ;) My thinking is if you really wanted "6BR Remington" dies you would have to special order them?

82boy
07-28-2011, 10:06 AM
The only difference between the 6mm BR Remington, and the 6mm BR Norma is the neck length. (As Boots mentioned.) The original guns where 40x pistols chamber in 6mm Br Remington, they made the neck longer (Norma version.) to keep from cambering the more powerful, heavier bullet, rifle cartridges in them 40X pistols.

Samdweezel05
07-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks guys. As far as the Redding dies, I don't shoot for a living or even compete so for me to spend $100 on a set of dies is a waste of money.

82boy
07-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Thanks guys. As far as the Redding dies, I don't shoot for a living or even compete so for me to spend $100 on a set of dies is a waste of money.

No, I mean the other way you can get far better dies for much less money. Reddings are to rich for my blood. I do compeate, and dont need anything as expensive as a Redding die.

sha-ul
09-05-2011, 11:08 PM

No, I mean the other way you can get far better dies for much less money. Reddings are to rich for my blood. I do compete, and dont need anything as expensive as a Redding die.

What dies do you have that you feel are a good value for their price?

GaCop
09-06-2011, 06:31 AM
I get good neck and bullet runout with Forster dies.

davemuzz
09-06-2011, 06:41 AM
I will agree with GaCop. Forster makes a quality product and you won't have to send them your first born to get it. (However....there have been times in the last two years when I would send my first born to anyone who would want him....for nothing in return! And you could have the tax deduction too!!)

I've also had very good success\quality with RCBS dies.

FWIW

Dave

82boy
09-06-2011, 09:58 AM

No, I mean the other way you can get far better dies for much less money. Reddings are to rich for my blood. I do compete, and dont need anything as expensive as a Redding die.

What dies do you have that you feel are a good value for their price?

Forester for starts, Their micrometer seater is the cats meow. When it comes to bushing dies I buy Harrells. 4d also makes good dies, when you looking for something odd ball. http://www.ch4d.com/

Nor Cal Mikie
09-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Forster Precision Bushing Bump Dies to size the neck and bump the shoulder, Redding body die as needed when the case starts getting snug on bolt closing and RCBS Compititiion seater. Perfect setup. ;D