PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 11/111 Lightweight Hunter

Savage Hunter
07-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Looking for information from folks who either own one of these, or has physically touched one in the store.

The 2011 catalogue indicates on page 7 that this rifle has a detachable magazine. The specs page (page 67) indicates it has a hinged floorplate. The "Firearm Details" page on the Savage website indicates the rifle has a detachable magazine. However, under the "News" section of the website where they announce new products, it indicates the rifle has a hinged floor plate.

Please tell me if this rifle has a detachable magazine, or a hinged floor plate. If it is a detachable magazine, does it have a nice stiff metal latch like the one on the Model 14's and 16's, or is it a cheap crappy plastic latch like the one on the Axis. Thanks.

jpdown
07-27-2011, 04:08 PM
The ones I've seen and touched have a DBM. The bottom plate, magazine frame, latch and trigger guard are all plastic to reduce weight. The bolt release is in front of the trigger guard. My thoughts at the time where I could swap out the plastic with a metal DBM, frame and trigger guard from a standard, SA centerfeed Savage, since the cutout looks to be the same size. But I was not able to confirm this with an eyeball evaluation. And if possible, I figured it would add 9 to 12 oz to the overall weight of the rifle. It's a sweet, compact rifle with a fit and feel similar to the Remington Model 7 CDL. Plus the out of the box accuracy potential and barrel swapping flexibility of the Savage platform.

Savage Hunter
07-27-2011, 05:51 PM
I actually wouldn't mind adding 9-12 oz of weight in order to gain a metal latch/frame etc. I've handled the magazines on a half dozen Axis rifles, and they feel CHEAP! This is an expensive rifle, with what seem to be good quality components. It's too bad they had to cheapen the function (not appearance) of it by using cheap plastic parts. Considering the amount of material needed to construct the frame, magazine, and trigger guard, they should have used Kevlar.

bluealtered
07-28-2011, 09:26 AM
I have one in .260, it is a plastic dbm and functions very well. I don't see it being a problem now or in the future. All in all i would give the rifle an A for design and function. blue

226z
10-13-2011, 03:34 AM
Blue, you said you have one in a 260? That's the one Im thinking about buying, but am unsure, and I hafto agree about the plastic parts. For $875 you should get something other than plastic, and I'm wondering if the rifle would be better at around 6-6.5 lbs. Is recoil a problem, and what kind of bullets have you found work best? Also, what kind of groups does yours shoot? I'm hoping to be able to use 120 grain federal fusion...seems like a good factory round....

jpdown
10-13-2011, 08:30 AM
I fought the urge, but finally bought a Savage LWH in 260. I replaced the plastic trigger guard with a matte metal one. The Savage LWH has the new style of bolt release in front of the trigger. So the trigger guard they use with the Accustock will work. I ordered the TG for the Savage 10 carbine, since it was matte black. The person in the parts department at Savage insisted they were not interchangeable. After 10 minutes, I finally told him to send the parts anyway, it was my money. I found the SA metal DBM assembly to also be interchangeable. But it adds 9 to 10 oz to the weight which kind of defeats buying a LWH.

Recoil with the 260 is noticable but managable. The rifle weight is just over 5.5 lbs naked, or 6.5 lbs with Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm scope and Talley LW rings. I tried working up a deer load with 130 gr Accubonds and H4350, but hit max pressure signs way below the book max. I've settled on the 130 gr Bergers (.010" OL) and a max load of H4350 for this hunting season. I'm getting avg 3 shot groups in the 0.65" range @ 100 yd with minimum amount of load work up. I have not bedded the action, but the fit was the best I've seen with an out of the box Savage. So you should be able to get 1" groups or better with a 120 gr factory load. The lightweight barrel heats up quickly and will start stringing shots. So let it cool between shots when punching paper. Street price is around $700.00.

bluealtered
10-13-2011, 08:46 AM
It's plastic to keep the weight down, thats why the model has that name. I haven't had any problems with my plastic parts and i don't baby it. Mine seems to like about anything i put in it, the loads i use most are sst's in either 129gr or 140gr with H4350.

It is a #1 contour barrel and is made for hunting not bug holes, it will do 3/4" to 7/8" groups from an open rest at 100yds for me. Recoil is to me in between a .243 and .308, very manageable. Theres no reason to pay list price for any rifle, just do your homework. blue