PDA

View Full Version : Assembling and Installing bolt head

VjjR
07-27-2011, 02:52 PM
I got the call from Northland on Monday and will be receiving my 243 Barrel on Friday. But before I jump into that I need to assembly my bolt head since I'm swapping from a wsm. I have all the parts and was wondering if there is anything I should not do or watch out for? I'm pretty good with small parts but since i'm jumping into this bolt head blindly I'm looking for pointers. I have read a few posts about just swapping the bolt head, but nothing on assembling it. I do not have my rifle or parts with me, I am out of town and can't examine them right now, so hoping to know how to do it before Friday. Also since it was a controlled feed how do I remove the old ejector on the action?

songdogslayercrbn
07-27-2011, 03:47 PM
I am pretty sure you will need a new baffle and firing pin since the short mag firing pin is longer. The baffle on wsm has a extra relief on the bolt stop for the extra length the magnum bolt head. If your interested in selling the magnum bolt head,baffle,and firing pin I would be interested in those items. I have the firing pin you will need. Oh and nothing special to look out for just make sure you have .050 of firing pin out past the bolt head when the firing pin released

VjjR
07-27-2011, 05:06 PM
I have a new firing pin. no baffle though. i have new: firing pin assembly, bolt head, ejector, ejector retaining pin, ejector spring, extractor, extractor detent ball, and extractor spring. I dont see a difference in baffles for sale at midway as far as caliber specific. However i do remember the baffle on my fathers 223 has a long side on it that my wsm and my G/F's 7mm-08 do not have.

MT4065
07-27-2011, 05:39 PM
The standing ejector will fall out by removing the trigger assly pin. Youre gonna miss the fun of puttin it back in though !

songdogslayercrbn
07-27-2011, 05:54 PM
I have a new firing pin. no baffle though. i have new: firing pin assembly, bolt head, ejector, ejector retaining pin, ejector spring, extractor, extractor detent ball, and extractor spring. I dont see a difference in baffles for sale at midway as far as caliber specific. However i do remember the baffle on my fathers 223 has a long side on it that my wsm and my G/F's 7mm-08 do not have.

Yeah if you look close the wsm will have a little more relief on the baffle. 243 thru 308 uses the same baffle. My 223 has the extended bolt catch on it also. You can see the magnum baffle in this picture
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd213/99saleencrbn/boltheadsnew.jpg

VjjR
07-27-2011, 07:15 PM
where do i get one?

songdogslayercrbn
07-27-2011, 08:24 PM
I would think sss could get you anything you needed. Would you be interested in selling the magnum firing pin?

VjjR
07-27-2011, 08:30 PM
I think i may sell it, I will let you know. is there a difference in long and short action baffles?

songdogslayercrbn
07-27-2011, 08:50 PM
not that I know of, but I may be wrong on that.

geargrinder
07-27-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm sure you can use your old baffle. All the notched one did was let the bolt cycle back far enough for the standing ejector to project into the bolt face without interfering with the other rounds in the magazine.

Using the notched baffle with a regular ejector will make no difference other than letting the bolt come back a little past the magazine.

If you want to swap them here's a cheap one at Midway. They have a stainless one for a buck more.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=725029

VjjR- Also replied to your PM.

VjjR
07-28-2011, 12:23 AM
Thanks, I'm going to try it with my current baffle and go from there.