PDA

View Full Version : Duramaxx centerfeed ?

jsthntn247
07-27-2011, 01:58 PM
I got a duramaxx stock and my old magazine won't work in it. Is there anywhere I can get a centerfeed blind mag? I called Savage and they wouldn't sell me one since my serial numbers were for a Hinged Floorplate.

r29l20
07-27-2011, 02:09 PM
You could try Sharp shooter supply. What cal.? I might be able to help you.

jsthntn247
07-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Caliber is 7 mag

r29l20
07-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Sorry I can't help. :(

sharpshooter
07-27-2011, 09:04 PM
If your gun had a hinged floor plate, the magazine is the same. Just snap it out of the HFP assembly and remove the follower....it's the same thing. You will need the "L" bracket to locate it in the stock.

jsthntn247
07-28-2011, 12:37 PM
If your gun had a hinged floor plate, the magazine is the same. Just snap it out of the HFP assembly and remove the follower....it's the same thing. You will need the "L" bracket to locate it in the stock.

I looked at that last night and you are right. I put it in the stock and it seems like there is way too much room in the mag well for the l-clip to make up that much space. I thought about bedding the magazine in the well but I am afraid that it won't be at the exact right height to feed properly. Thinking about taking it back to the gunsmith and having him mill slots in the receiver where the mag will set on the action itself like the old style staggerfeeds.

jsthntn247
07-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Also, could I just have the stock inletted for factory DBM. Any ideas on how much the dbm and clip would cost and how much to inlet the stock? After doing some research, this option won't work because my bolt release is on the trigger guard.

MDM
07-28-2011, 04:27 PM
It won't work because the Savage Duramaxx is not for the centerfeed action. They are for the old stagger feed models with the 4.25" spacing.

Read here
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-35/Bell-%26-Carlson-~Savage/Detail

GaCop
08-02-2011, 06:35 AM
The Duramax works with the long action staggerfeed. It could be modified for the centerfeed by fitting the CF mag to the stock. I got a standard long action staggerfeed stock to work with the CF by gluing popcicle sticks in the mag well to hold the mag in place. I cut the front and back stick to the length of the "L" bracket and the front cut to the lip of the mag box. Additional stick were used along the side to hold the box in place. It work well for my 270. and I could still return the stock to SF configuration if I needed to.

jsthntn247
08-03-2011, 01:53 PM
I think I have decided to just take it back to the smith and have him mill some slots in the action to hold a blind mag like the old stagger feed rifles. I wanted to make sure it shot first before having the additional work done to it, and it shoots fine.