PDA

View Full Version : where to find 338 spectre barrel or reamer

Pages : [1] 2

D.ID
07-26-2011, 09:09 PM
I want to build one but am having trouble finding a reamer or chambered barrel (savage barrel). I tried SBR already and have not heard back, Anyone know any other source? Thanks...........Duke

GaCop
07-27-2011, 06:22 AM
Have you spoken to Clymer or Pacific Tool and Gauge?

D.ID
07-27-2011, 08:20 AM
No I have not spoken with them yet. They do not have it listed. I expect I need to call them and have them make one unless someone knows where to get a barrel. Thanks

LabRat2k3
07-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Looks like SBR is your best bet. Did you try to call them or just e-mail them? Seems like a lot of gunsmiths are slow to answer e-mail. Building anything custom is a patients building exercise as well, it may take awhile to get a response and when you do there is usually a long wait time for what you want. So if this is what you want keep trying to get in touch with them by every method, call, fax, snail mail, and e-mail, you are bound to get a response some way.

Dano5001
07-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Keep us posted on what you find out, I am interested in this cartridge as well. I have wondered if the "Spectere" name is patented or protected so to speak like the "whisper" cartridges, and if anyone has done a reamer under another name like they did with the 300 fireball for example?

D.ID
07-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Just email so far but it sounds like time to try calling and or ground up reamer construction for a 338 sp***** I will update as soon as I touch base at SBR and or pacific tool. Thanks much................... Duke

Skunce
07-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Looks like the originator of the cartridge offers Savage barrels.

http://teppojutsu.com/welcome.htm

D.ID
07-28-2011, 09:15 PM
They did but recently took a job over seas and are referring everything to SBR.

SuperChuck
08-29-2011, 07:53 PM
They list Pac-Nor on their web links, might want to check with them...

SC

D.ID
08-31-2011, 10:08 PM
I called SBR a couple times and left messages and got no response. I already checked with pac-nor and they can provide a barrel in 6.5 twist but can not chamber in this cartridge unless I find a chamber reamer. Thanks for the help so far but I fear this quest is just beginning so keep it coming if you come up with something and I will try to get in touch with pacific tool to find or commission a reamer. Thanks again............Duke

LabRat2k3
09-01-2011, 03:21 AM
Maybe it is time to look at a differant round that will meet the needs that this one will. I don't know why it is that you chose this round, maybe like me I choose things "just because" sometimes, or maybe you have a specific set of criteria that this round meets. Either way there should be a round that can do the same things that this one can. I think that a .338 Federal should do, it can be loaded subsonic if you are a can fan, or loaded pretty stout for hunting, feeds easy, and componets would be easier to find. If you want the Spectre just because you want one, well there is no cure for that, I know because I have that same problem sometimes. Good luck on your quest.

D.ID
09-01-2011, 09:35 AM
I have a 300wsm light hunter and a 338 edge heavy hunter and getting ready to do a 243 fast twist long range varmint. The interest in the 338 spectre cartridge starts with it's very stabile ballistics using the 300 grain bullets but more importantly the recommendation that it be used with a 9mm aluminum can (like the gemtech raptor) that I already have and I do not want to buy any more cans). The 9mm carbine I have the can on is super accurate out to about 60 yards but after that it is just slinging lead. That same 9mm carbine is worth enough to fund this whole project and the only part of my collection that has not yet earned a positively permanent position in my collection. In summery: I want a very stabile flying, hard hitting, low pressure cartridge in a bolt action platform using a suppressor I already have funded by a carbine I have but am not emotionally attached to. The spectre appears to fit that agenda like no other as I expect the larger 338 subsonics would produce enough pressure to require a newer, expensive, heavier can. Thanks again, but I am still trying and find one.

LabRat2k3
09-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Sounds like you have your plan pretty well laid out. I hope that you can get the ball rolling on it before too long. I know 0% about suppressors but will a .338 whisper work with a 9mm can or is is too high pressure also? Whatever happens please keep us up to date I like seeing different builds and learning new things.

D.ID
09-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Will do. I am no expert either especially when it comes to interior ballistics. I will be doing some research to confirm that the larger cartridges produce more pressure as so far that is only an assumption on my part. I have bean wrong before. Either way I'll update when I know more. If anyone knows these things please throw in your knowledge. Thanks again........Duke

D.ID
09-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Looks like any of the 338 subsonics should work for my application but the federal may be tricky, do to it's excessive size. The wisper/quiet/jjk and several others are out there so I just need to find a barrel or reamer for one of them. A new search for the same end, Begins.

LabRat2k3
09-03-2011, 08:36 AM
I was looking up stuff about this last night and Wilson Combat says that u can fire a .358 Win through one of their cans. Now it is made out of Titanium so it may hold up to more pressure than an Aluminum can like your Gemtech, but I don't know. I think that the .358 Win would be great for this; big heavy bullet so it should still hit hard at subsonic speed, or take the suppressor of and you can really smack something with it. Hope that gives you another option the .358 has been around longer so it may be easier to find someone with a reamer on hand.

yorketransport
09-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Don't rule out the 338 Federal just yet. You may or may not be familiar with the reloading powder called Trail Boss. Basically, it was designed to give low velocity, low pressure loads in larger cases used in Cowboy action shooting. It works great in the cowboy calibers, but it also works in modern designs as well. I've used it in 300 WSM loads, 308, 375 Ruger, and a bunch of other calibers. It works with any bullet weight and IMR provides information on how to determine a safe charge weight.

I'll bet that you could seat a 300gr MK in a 338 Federal over a case full of Trail Boss, and end up with pretty much the same performance as the 338 Spectre. But you would have the advantage of a common chambering standard reloading dies. It might be something to consider. I know that I've been playing with the idea for a couple of months. Ever since WA decided that it would be legal to both own AND use supressors.

Andrew

D.ID
09-07-2011, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the idea but the 358 lacks the hi bc bullets I need for longer ranges and I want to do this project without buying any more suppressors, I do not need any supersonic capabilities or versatility in this project. Any subsonic specialty round I pursue needs a high bc projectile to make use of what little velocity is available in a subsonic round...........I read about some trail boss use but heard (unconfirmed) reports that the 338 federal would not hold enough powder for the 300 grain SMK or Berger which are the only 338 bullets. I will be exploring further into trailboss to confirm. I am even considering the 300 blackout which is apparently frequently used effectively with a 9mm suppressor and has reasonably comparable ballistics when used with heavy SMK or VLD bullets (I need an excuse to try the new berger 230gr) and Everybody apparently has reamers and loading equipment for it. Max range subsonic cartridges used with pistol suppressors actually has a lot more options than I ever realized. Research,research, decisions, decisions. Please chime in if you folks know any thing about trailboss and the 338 federal/300 grain or the 300x221 (acc blackout) or any other possibilities that I may be overlooking. Thanks again..............Duke

yorketransport
09-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Here's a link to IMR's Trail Boss load guide.

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

As far as I know there are no limitations when using this data. Just load up and have fun! Good luck.

Andrew

SuperChuck
09-08-2011, 12:16 AM
I have Sinman making me a 300 blackout barrel now. I even have a stash of 240 grain SMK's when I decide to try reloading.

Since its release, the 300 blackout has picked up the momentum the 300 Whisper / 300 Fireball / 300/221 had built up and has been running strong. I've stocked up on the subsonic remington loading, and some bulk ammo from an online manufacturer that has some videos of their 300 AAC being shot in A/Rs. They are called thebulletworks.net, and have some youtude videos showing them firing ammo. They have a 240 grain segmented that I'll try out as well.

I bought some 150 grain plinker rounds, figured for testing, and the brass, $.60 eachwas fine for now. I think remington might have some rounds coming out around $13/20 soon too.

I have my trust paperwork and just need to finalize it and I'll be looking for a reasonably priced 9mm pistol can, as the 30 cal-specific cans are typically designed for rifle cartridges. Some videos I've seen seem to confirm that at the powder and pressure levels, the 9mm can is suitable, especially considering the multi-purpose use if I ever bought a 9mm A/R upper.

Overall, I am also interested in the Spectre, but the 300 seemed to be the best first step for now. AND the 9mm can would work for it too, so I'm not losing much by going this route. :-)

SC