PDA

View Full Version : Bolt stop question

jsthntn247
07-26-2011, 02:04 PM
I have a model 110 with the bolt stop on the trigger guard. It has a lever to the left side of the sear that acts as the bolt stop. I just got a duramaxx and the trigger guard bolt release button doesn't release the bolt because it is inletted for the side bolt release found on older 110's. If I cut this off and no longer have a bolt stop, will the trigger still function?

thomae
07-26-2011, 05:34 PM
If I understand your question, the answer is that if you cut off the bolt stop lever, regardless of where it is located, the rifle will still shoot (as long as you don't actually remove the sear - which is what the bolt stop is a part of ), but you will not be able to remove or reinsert your bolt out of or into the action.

jsthntn247
07-26-2011, 07:47 PM
The stop sits at the back of the action and you have to press it down to insert and take out the bolt. You do this by pulling the trigger and pressing a lever on the side of the sear. My thinking is that if I cut the tab off the sear that acts as the bolt stop then I should be able to insert and remove my bolt as I please. Right now I am having to take the stock off and manually press it down to remove the bolt. I'm just worried that this tab is involved in the cocking process of the firearm, if not then I'm gonna cut it with the dremmel.

airaddict
07-26-2011, 08:12 PM
ur talking about the bottom bolt release. it should have a little dog leg that goes towards the trigger guard so that button can push on it to release the bolt.

if u cut that little dog leg off u will still need to take the stock off to pivot the sear in towards the back of the action to allow the bolt to be removed.

since urs is more than likely an accutrigger model, maybe u can have a piece of metal welded to the top portion of the sear to stick up in the same place as the bolt release of the older 110 actions.

brian

jsthntn247
07-26-2011, 10:29 PM
This is a picture from the rear of my action looking in. Notice the black triangle shaped piece sticking up on the right hand side. This is the piece I am wanting to cut off. This is what actually stops the bolt from releasing. I am wondering if this piece also has something to do with the action cycling, (I.E. if that little black ball on the bottom right side of the bolt depresses this in some way to make the sear engage). If not then it shouldn't be any problem in taking this off, I just wont have a bolt stop. Please excuse my ignorance if I am all wrong, I just don't want to make a mistake and have to order a new sear.
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy293/jsthntn247/actionpic.jpg

airaddict
07-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Gotcha now! If im correct thats what actually fires the rifle by trippiing the cocking piece to allow the firing pin to go forward. u cant cut that off. it just happens to also serve as a bolt stop. i dont think u could alter the bolt to allow it to "miss" that piece since it pivots down and out of the way to allow the bolt to be removed.

brian

thomae
07-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Airaddict is correct. If you cut that piece off, the firing pin will not be held back in the cocked position. It will release every time you cycle the bolt (Can you say "inadvertent discharge?". This is because the bolt stop is an integral part of the sear. Do a search for bolt stop or bolt release. There are a few threads asking this question and apparently it is not a simple modification.

jsthntn247
07-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Any clue on how to modify this?? It is a royal pia to have to take the stock off to get the bolt out. Is there any way to put a old style bolt release on my action?

jsthntn247
07-27-2011, 09:09 AM
I have a Rifle Basix trigger and an old style sear/bolt release assembly that I got as an extra from my Stevens .223. However, I don't think the old style sear will fit the new style trigger assembly.

thomae
07-27-2011, 10:36 AM
If you want the side release bolt stop, the receiver and rear baffle have to be recessed(flattened) on the side to make room for it.

1. Read this post carefully: http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,34343.0.html

2. Now look at the photos in this post. They clearly show the flat surface on the right hand of the receiver and rear baffle: http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,42780.0.html.

Here are the photos I mentioned:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/sharp-shooter/boltrelease.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/sharp-shooter/boltreleas3.jpg

It looks to me as if you have three options: (in no particular order):

a.) get rid of your stock and purchase one designed to be used with your receiver.
b.) Modify your stock so that the existing bolt release mechanism works with the stock.
c.) Modify your receiver so that you can use the older style sear with the side bolt release. This would involve machining the side of the receiver, and at least modifying or replacing the sear. I don't know if you can simply replace your current sear with the older style with the side release.

I don't own any aftermarket triggers, so I don't know if they offer a bolt-release solution. Perhaps someone with more experience with aftermarket triggers can comment.

My final suggestion is not meant to be mean or disrespectful:
There are a lot of variations of Savage actions, triggers, etc...and not all stocks fit all actions. Next time, if you can, try to do a bit more research before your purchase so that you get a stock that actually fits your action. If you choose not to, you would be wise to know, ahead of time, what modifications you should do to make things work, and whether or not those modifications are within the capability of you, your skills and your equipment (or your gunsmith). That will save you a lot of headaches and hand wringing after the fact. Sometimes, if you purchase the wrong part, there is no easy fix and you will simply need to start over.

I wish you all the best in your endeavors.