PDA

View Full Version : What accuracy to expect?

Texas Solo
07-25-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm pleased with my #10 PH in .223 for my coyote gun, but I thought it would shoot tighter than it does. My best group is 1" with Hornady 55 V-Max.
I know it's a hunting rifle and shoots minute of coyote easily, but I guess my old #12BVSS spoiled me with it's 1/2" groups. I've tried 3 types of ammo, but the 55V-Max shoots the best. Rifle only has about 100 rounds through it. I'm using the package Pentax 3-9x40, considering a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 ( I have one on my R15 and it's the bomb!)

Question is, what is the best accuracy I can look for? Or, should I just accept 1" as the best it will do and try to remember it's a coyote rifle?

Thanks for your thoughts

Slowpoke Slim
07-25-2011, 09:03 PM
You may find it gets better after more shots down the barrel as is. However, 3 loads isn't much of a sample to try. You just never know what a rifle will "like" until you try it. When my shooting buddy took his new dual port Savage 223 out on it's first range day, he shot a true one hole group with of all things, Ultramax "remanufactured" ammo with the 68 gr hp bullet. They were leftovers I gave him after trying 6 or 8 different loads in my Stevens.

Man was I irritated! I told him to just buy a case of that and forget about handloading for it.

Try a few more loads in it.

Samdweezel05
07-25-2011, 09:13 PM
The two choices are to try different factory ammo or get into reloading. You can start out cheap and add stuff as you go along. $200 and some time spent on the forums looking for good used equipment would set you up. I talked myself out of it several times with the excuse that I don't shoot enough or I don't care how well it shoots but the first time I shot my own handloads and took a pistol that was an 8" at 15yds and turned it into a 3" at 15yds, I was hooked. I haven't purchased any factory ammo in about 6 years. It' also handy when trying to feed hand cannons like the 500 S&W and the .454 Casull. It never gets old to go out and shoot my 1954 Winchester Model 94 .30-30 at 100yds and get groups well under 1/2".

jinx-)
07-25-2011, 09:44 PM
got to savage website Frequently Asked Questions http://www.savagearms.com/customerservice/faqs/
then type " What is the expected accuracy of my centerfire model? "
and the answer to your question is :
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++
The accuracy of a firearm depends on the shooter, the ammunition being used, the conditions, and the condition of the gun. We do have factory specifications for accuracy on all of our firearms. For the centerfire models they are:

Sporter barrel models (Hunter, Weather-Warrior, Classic, Stevens Series): 1 1/2" or better at 100 yds
Varmint barrel models (Varmint, Law Enforcement Series): 1" or better at 100 yds
Savage Axis (Formerly the Edge): 2" or better - 3 shot group
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++
;)

teebirdhyzer
07-25-2011, 11:12 PM
but I bet most if not all will shoot groups half of the size listed with the right ammo. don't you guys think so?

Texas Solo
07-25-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm actually pleased to see that 1" is about all that is expected with factory ammo, etc.

Those 1/2" groups with my old #12BVSS were hand loads worked up for that rifle.
Now I just have to decide if I want to get back into reloading to gain that extra 1/2". I haven't had a coyote complain yet about my shot placement, so it's probably not worth it. Who knows, maybe I'll get an LRP in .308 just for a range toy. (and also hire a divorce attorney)

Thanks again for the replies.

jinx-)
07-25-2011, 11:57 PM
teebirdhyzer, not with my factory barrels, they right there on the edge that's with latest models, but my 5 year old barrel still shoots tight...

skoger
07-26-2011, 05:58 AM
Not to knock your scope, but that may be the problem. A buddy of mine recently got a deal on a new Pentax, new scope, on a new to him gun. Was shooting 1-1&1/2 inch groups with handloads or factory. One of the handloads was an old standby of mine, has shot great in every 22-250 I have put it in. He had traded for an older 112 LA 22-250, just like mine. I had a extra used scope, that I knew was solid, would track and hold zero. Next trip to the range, I had a box of my handloads, when his rifle still shot crappy, I traded scopes out, zeroed 2"high at 100 in 8 shots, and then shot 2- 5 shot groups. Both were 1/2 inch or under. I cleaned the barrel, and shot 2 more 5 shot groups, well under 1/2 inch. I had another shooting buddy had the same problem with a $800 Target Leupold, had to be sent back twice.