PDA

View Full Version : Adding weight

jsthntn247
07-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Just got my new barreled action and duramaxx stock bedded together. With the added weight of the new barrel, it is extremely front heavy. Ever added weight to a Duramaxx.

82boy
07-25-2011, 12:30 PM
The duramax has a hollow cavity behind the recoil pad, I placed three 2lbs ingots of lead in that hole, and filled it with epoxy, worked great.

GaCop
07-27-2011, 06:28 AM
I haven't added weight to a Duramaxx but I did modify a factory 110 stock on my 7mm Mag. The recoil from the bench was more than I cared for. I tried a walnut stock with a better recoil pad but it still was a bit uncomfortable to shoot. I looked closely at the factory tupperware and decided to modify it. I dug out the expandable foam in the butt and filled that with sand. I filled the voids in the forearm 3/4 full of sand and capped that with a layer of Devcon to hold it in place. I also added a pad at the front of the barrel channel to put a bit of up pressure on the light factory barrel and I recrowned it. The sand added enough weight to tame the recoil from the bench. I shot 12 rounds benchrest with no shoulder problems and the rifle can now shoot 1" groups. I believe with more load development, I can tighten the groups even more. Overall, it was a solution that worked for me.

BigTim
08-19-2011, 02:16 PM
I added a bunch to a Remington stock by mixing lead shot in devcon and filling a void in the buttstock. Fits perfect and you can tap or vibrate to settle it in evenly.