PDA

View Full Version : advice on tightening groups

Pages : 1 [2]

tammons
07-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Assuming you have your rifle set up properly, IE bedded, action torqued properly etc. if you are trying to shoot one hole groups,
I would start with a known accuracy powder for that round and get some Lapua Scenar Bullets and load them jammed about 15 thou and work up a load.

Scenars have shot tighter than most other bullets I have tried. Bergers 2nd.

RL17 is great for the extra speed but its temp sensitive so I would start with something else if only shooting target.

+1 on weighing your powder, IE each load by hand.
Top shooters use a scale that measures down to one piece of powder.

I just got my hands on a .02 grain electronic scale.
Even a RCBS chargemaster rounds off a good bit.

Also every rifle I have run for accuracy loads, for VLD bullet I always started jammed about 15 thou. Flatbased bullets jumped about 10-15. and work from there.
Can remember where I read that but it works for me.

jsthntn247
07-27-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm not a professional gunsmith, but I have bedded a bunch of rifles. If your front action screw is tight and you loosen your rear action screw and the tang comes up causing groups to shrink, you have a improperly bedded action. It sounds like you are binding the tang which can cause accuracy problems. I would address this issue before I burnt up 200 dollars worth of bullets and powder.

rsbhunter
07-29-2011, 12:23 PM
I am using a rcbs chargemaster, that i have checked against a beam scale(sounds backwards, doesn't it) and it wasn't my gun that the tang lifted on, but it is something to watch.....My stock is bedded(skim) as it is a B&C tactical ...Now, NOT to start a war, and i honestly do believe that the torque does effect accuracy, but if a rifle is bedded with say, Devcon (very hard and stable) once the action screw is contacting the trigger guard (steel one) how much compression can varying amounts of torque change the "seating" of the action/bedding material, given it is a "mirror" image of the action? Not the same thing, but in engines, the torque is actually a measurement of the bolt, or fastener "stretch, not the compression on the material its self. I always thought that if a bedding job was done correctly, that once the screw was "tight", that it was there, as much as it was going to be....now, i will NOT argue with Stan Pate,(or anyone on this site) read the article, and the man knows his guns....so i will bring my Fat Wrench with me to the range, and honestly try some different torque settings..... just had some thoughts....rsbhunter

JCalhoun
07-29-2011, 02:10 PM
hunter;

I believe you are correct about the torque and bedding idea. I only snug my action screws and check them periodically.

How hot are you letting the barrel get before taking a break?

rsbhunter
07-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Not hot at all....i shoot a three shot group, then the bbl cools to warm...not much above ambient air temp....i have a major fear of overheating a bbl...i shoot alot of close to overbore cartridges, and i am always cautious about the heat factor...cheaper to let it cool down, than to rebarrel... I have loaded some 100gr nosler ballistic tips...maybe it likes lighter bullets...but it is 1-8".....rsbhunter

mytwo60
07-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Most production hunting rifles can shoot 1" or less let alone a custom. I would do this I were you.

1/ Full length size about 10 casings including using the expander ball

Pretty much load it like a "hunting" rifle and work your way from there. I would stick to 2 powders only. Either H4831sc or H4350.

Jamie
07-29-2011, 09:42 PM
... I have loaded some 100gr nosler ballistic tips...maybe it likes lighter bullets...but it is 1-8".....rsbhunter

I was going to ask if you have tried any lighter bullets. Just because it is a fast twist doesnt mean it will like the heavies, just means it will stabilize them. I have a 1:8 .223 Rocket River that will shoot 10, 55 grn B-tips into 1" but won't put 3, 75 grn A-Maxes any where close to an inch.