PDA

View Full Version : Why did my scope move?

dacaur
07-24-2011, 06:45 PM
I was out shooting my edge today and suddely couldnt even hit the target, I was trying to figure out why, when I noticed my scope was all the way forward in the rings, with the power adjust ring touching the rear scope ring, with some nice scuff marks on the sides where it had slid....

Why did that happen, and how can I keep it from happening again?

Its not the stock scope btw, its a simmons whitetake classic 6.5-20x50, so Its quite a bit bigger than the one that came with the gun, but I am using the rings that came with the gun...

Was shooting handloads when he happend, sierra 150gr SP over 43.3 grains of varget.

ptisd335
07-24-2011, 08:15 PM
The mounts/rings that you are using might be your problem but the I'm not sure, I was not fond of the factory scope rings so, I went to Z 2 scope rings here is the link http://www.durasight.com/durasight/z2-alloy-products/scope-rings.html I have had these for about two years and I love them.

sayak
07-25-2011, 12:40 PM
When you remount your scope, make sure your rings and the scope body are totally oil free by wiping w/ rubbing alcohol, then wrap the double sided sticky tape around the scope (just one wrap!) where the rings will contact your scope. Some folks say don't do this, but Redfield actually packs the tape strips in their scope boxes, so I'm thinkin' it's OK.

don lynch
07-25-2011, 01:29 PM
could you possibly have 30mm rings and a 1" scope or the other way around?
don

dacaur
07-25-2011, 04:53 PM
No, definitely 1" rings and a 1" scope, I made sure of that...

I got myself a F.A.T torque screwdriver today, so I will remount the scope with the proper torque specs....

The rings came with some tape/cloth type stuff on them, should I reuse that or remove it and just throw a wrap of double sided take around the scope or both? I have been reading and some people seem to use electrical tape? any thoughts on that?

I didnt wipe it down when I bought it so if it had any oil on it from the factory, I guess that could have contributed....

dacaur
07-26-2011, 12:20 AM
well I was planning to wait a few days before messing with it, but I had some time to kill tonight so i dug in... Well, when I went to take out the scope ring screws, they were ALL loose, like, completley loose.... So I just wiped the scope down , set the tourqe wrench to 30 in/lbs and re-tightened it..... Turns out 30 in/lbs is WAY tighter than I thought... I had them WAY too loose when I orignaly mounted the scope, which explains why they all came loose..... at least, I hope....

Thanks for the help all!

efm77
07-26-2011, 04:24 PM
I had that happen once on a 450 Marlin and it was because I forgot to get the film of oil off of the new scope before mounting it. Even if you got the screws tight enough this time they could still come loose again from the vibration of shooting. I always put a dab of thread locker (not the permanant kind!) on the threads before installing them. A little film of powdered rosin in the rings works better to grip the scope and keep it from sliding than tape in my opinion. Ever since my little mishap I've cleaned the oil from inside the rings and off of the scope and used a little rosin and they've stayed put even on the heavy hitters.

bill2260
07-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Your scope moved because something was loose. I always tighten skrews with a pre application of wifes fingernail polish. Tighten them tight and I have never had one come loose. Bill

Dirk
07-30-2011, 10:58 PM
Maybe your scope moved 'cause it didn't like the neighborhood! ;D

JC808
07-31-2011, 03:08 AM
Maybe your scope moved 'cause it got a new job?! ;D

joe0121
08-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Go to an Auto parts store. Buy a Tube of blue threadlocker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4oF_07X1qU

diesel
08-10-2011, 01:02 AM
go to wallyworld and buy a set of weaver high quad locks, cheap, $9.95. high for that 40mm bell. have them on my 45-70 with a 2-7 Nikon. heavy loads. tons of recoil, NEVER moved yet. just my .02

thomae
08-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Your rifle and scope are totally ruined, completely worthless and will never shoot again.
Send them both to me immediately along with a $20.00 disposal fee and I will get rid of them for you!
;D