PDA

View Full Version : removing ejector?

ICUDIEN
07-24-2011, 04:03 PM
Ok, I just built a 6br and it ejects about 1/5th of the time. I was wondering if I just removed the ejector if the bolt would just hold on to the case so I could just reach in and grab it?

geargrinder
07-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Yes, that works just fine.

Samdweezel05
07-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Not only does it work just fine but it keeps the rifle from throwing that Lapua brass in the dirt next to the bench. All of my bench guns have the ejector removed.

ICUDIEN
07-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Well sounds like a win-win situation. I just hate when it drops the case before the port. Thanks guys.

geargrinder
07-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Not only does it work just fine but it keeps the rifle from throwing that Lapua brass in the dirt next to the bench. All of my bench guns have the ejector removed.

But that's how I find all my free Lapua brass at my local range. ;D

ICUDIEN
07-24-2011, 08:00 PM
You wouldn't find much of mine, I'm a super freak about my brass even shooting pistols.

ICUDIEN
07-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Ok I just looked at my bolt and I don't know how to take the bolthead off. Do I pound out that black pin?

Netz
07-25-2011, 12:33 AM
No need to pound on it, just press the bolt-head down with your thumb (takes the pressure off the pin) then with a punch you can push the pin out,(or give it a light tap) now this is done after you remove the bolt assembly screw, and firing pin assembly.
Curt

gotcha
07-25-2011, 02:40 AM
WHOA ! The EJECTOR is the spring loaded rod on left side of the bolt that pushes on the base of the case causing it to eject when the case clears the port. It can be removed w/ a 1/16" punch by pushing the pin out. However, it sounds like you're talking about the EXTRACTOR being the problem. ( It only ejects 1/5th of the time ) The extractor is on the right side of the bolt & has a little claw that grabs the extractor groove of the case & draws it from the chamber. If, as you said, You're only extracting 1 out of 5 cases removing the extractor isn't going to improve anything. Removing the ejector isn't going to help either. Take your rifle & some brass to a Qualified Gunsmith & let him analyze the problem before you cause yourself some BIG headaches. JMHO

Joe O
07-25-2011, 06:52 AM
I agree with gotcha.You can remove the ejector,but if the xtractor isn't holding the brass,I would calll customer service and have them send you a couple new extractors.Common problem with many target actions.

Scott Evans
07-25-2011, 06:16 PM
If the extractor doesn't grab enough of the rim the fix for that is putting a larger diameter detent ball under the extractor. If there's nothing wrong with the lip of the extractor you can change them till you're blue in the face and nothing will change.

Some cases have less 'lip' to grab and are extraction sensitive.

gotcha
07-25-2011, 07:02 PM
+1....... What Scott said. The thickness of the rim as well as the diameter of the rim come into play. Pull the bolt, cinch it down in a padded vise vertically & force a case into the bolt face. Have a lot of movement? Extractor fully engaging the rim? You might only need to change brass :D

geargrinder
07-25-2011, 09:07 PM
WHOA ! The EJECTOR is the spring loaded rod on left side of the bolt that pushes on the base of the case causing it to eject when the case clears the port. It can be removed w/ a 1/16" punch by pushing the pin out. However, it sounds like you're talking about the EXTRACTOR being the problem. ( It only ejects 1/5th of the time ) The extractor is on the right side of the bolt & has a little claw that grabs the extractor groove of the case & draws it from the chamber. If, as you said, You're only extracting 1 out of 5 cases removing the extractor isn't going to improve anything. Removing the ejector isn't going to help either. Take your rifle & some brass to a Qualified Gunsmith & let him analyze the problem before you cause yourself some BIG headaches. JMHO

My bolt heads must be broken. All of my extractors are on the left side. ;D

gotcha
07-25-2011, 11:24 PM
That's 'cause you're holding the rifle upside down ! ;D

Netz
07-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Ok, I just built a 6br and it ejects about 1/5th of the time. I was wondering if I just removed the ejector if the bolt would just hold on to the case so I could just reach in and grab it?

I think you guy's are putting words in his mouth.
He is speaking about the ejector, not extractor.
Curt

geargrinder
07-26-2011, 10:22 PM
I think you guy's are putting words in his mouth.
He is speaking about the ejector, not extractor.
Curt

Their point is that poor ejection can be a result of loose fitting bolt head and/or a marginally working extractor.