PDA

View Full Version : what is the advantage of a target action?

mattri
07-24-2011, 11:27 AM
It seems the general consensus is that a standard 110 type action can be as accurate as a PTA. If that is the case what is the advantage of using a PTA over a 110 action with a decent trigger?

tyler.woodard04
07-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Port options, If you one are ever going to load it single shot anyway the PTA will be stiffer. but my large shank short action 7WSM with krieger barrel shoots .3-.4 consistently and is set up as a repeater for hunting.

mattri
07-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the reply. Port options are a good point that I had overlooked. You mention the PTA being stiffer, which I've heard before and makes sense- how much of a difference will this make accuracy-wise?
As an exercise in compromise, if you hand feed a LA round into a PTA how much of an accuracy gain will you see over a 110 action with the option of having a repeater?

82boy
07-24-2011, 12:51 PM
There comes a point where something is as stiff as it needs to be, and anything over that is just overkill, and has no advantage. The repeater 110 action is as stiff as it needs to be. The only advantage at PTA has is port placement. If you look at a dual port action it has almost just as much metal removed as a repeater action, the cuts are just made in different locations. The thing to remember is combustion takes place in the chamber of the barrel, not in the action.

As an exercise in compromise, if you hand feed a LA round into a PTA how much of an accuracy gain will you see over a 110 action with the option of having a repeater?

The answer is None.

mattri
07-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks again for the good replies. Does shank size have an affect on accuracy at all? It seems that the larger shank would add a little stability when shooting large non-magnum rounds, 30-06 etc.

82boy
07-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Does shank size have an affect on accuracy at all?
Nope