PDA

View Full Version : First Build and It's a Shooter!! thanks for all your help on this site

Pages : [1] 2

teebirdhyzer
07-23-2011, 09:41 PM
My story with savage started exactly one year ago when i ordered a 93r17 just because I thought the .17hmr was a cool round and the Savage was a good bargain. I had never shot a rifle with a "good" trigger and after getting used to the accutrigger was immediatley surprised at the little groups I could shoot with it compared to the other rifles I own. Over the next couple of months I added a mark II in .17hm2, a model 25 lightweight classic in .223, and a plain jane model 110 in .270 to replace my Ruger Mark II .270 deer rifle. All of these guns shoot well, but I never could get the .270 to shoot exactly like I thought it could, or like alot of the guns on here will shoot. After just a few shots it would get really hot and not group at all. After much reading and studying on this site...(and keep in mind I am an absolute and complete amateur and have never even changed out the stock on a gun prior to this build) I decided to try my hand at a custom project. I really wanted to keep the rifle a hunting rifle, but also be able shoot good groups and maybe some pretty long range while keeping a wood classic style look. I also borrowed some handloading equip and loaded up some rounds which I tried out today, (also my first try at handloading). Here is what I have done to the rifle, and below are some pics of it and the .295" group I shot today. Big thanks to everyone on this site that are always eager to help with questions and problems. No way possible that I would have ever thought about trying anything like this without this website!!

Started life as a Stock model 110 in .270 with a wood stock and blind magazine.

Purchased a mag conversion kit from SSS to change the blind mag to a detachable box mag.

Purchased a classic style walnut stock from Numrich and did some inletting to make the bolt release, etc. fit and function in the stock.

Bedded the action with ProBed 2000 (First time to try to bed a rifle)

Purchased Heavy magnum Contour Stainless 24" Barrel from Numrich and New SS Barrell nut (the other barrel nut is still stuck on the factory barrel.)
It has a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5 -14 x 40 BDC scope.

Today I got her together for the first time and went to shoot. I loaded up a bunch of 130 grain Nosler BT's on top of imr4350. After 15 rounds break in with various rounds, I started working through the different powder charge handloads. The best group came from 54.5 grains. I only had 3 rounds loaded at this charge, so I will load up 20 or so more and shoot some more groups maybe tomorrow afternoon or later this week to see if this group is repeatable. I imagine it is becase some of the other charges produced 1/2 to 5/8inch groups . Below are the pics of the finished rifle, and the group I shot today that measures .295! my best group I've ever shot, and it was amazingly with a rifle I built myself! The satisfaction is amazing.

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/fullup3/IMG_4206.jpg

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/fullup3/IMG_4208.jpg

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/fullup3/IMG_4203.jpg

bythebook
07-23-2011, 10:05 PM
OH BOY YOUR HOOKED DEEP NOW!!!!!

Nice job and nice rifle.

teebirdhyzer
07-23-2011, 10:10 PM
thats exactly what everyone said when I killed my first Turkey, and they were absolutely correct.

and Thanks...i am very pleased!

stevec
07-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Very cool! Good looking rig and great shooting!

Steve

pdog06
07-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Thats a very nice lookin rifle!!! Nice job, both building and shooting!

teebirdhyzer
07-23-2011, 11:07 PM
thanks guys. looking forward to getting some more rounds loaded up and trying it out at 200 and 300yds.

csam
07-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Enabling the addiction is nothing to proud of... ask me how I know!

teebirdhyzer
07-24-2011, 02:22 PM
I think I'm afraid to ask! But I think I can guess....

gotcha
07-25-2011, 03:04 AM
Nice lookin' ! The fore end tip sets the wood off just right making for a "classic" look. It's grouping well enough to go grass hopper hunting ;D. Keep up the good work!

irondog54
07-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Excellent group! Handsome looking rifle to boot!

barthmonster
07-25-2011, 09:14 PM
sweet ! I'll have to check out Numrich better. I've had a tough time locating barrels like that. Is it made by a major manufacturer or just a nameless barrel ?

jinx-)
07-25-2011, 09:47 PM
you got that nut off!!! did it work in clockwise direction?

teebirdhyzer
07-25-2011, 10:54 PM
barthmonster.....it's listed on Numrich as a Savage Factory "heavy" contour .270 barrel. I didn't know savage ever made a factory rifle in .270 with a varmint contour 24" barrel, but then again, I don't claim to know much about this stuff. It was only 80 bucks and is a shooter!! It was rather stained and a little rusty, but some oil and fine steel wool fixed her right up. plus, I've put about 40 round through it so far to break it in and with load development and have yet to see any sign of copper fouling at all. All of my patches come out black with powder, but not a hint of copper. Sweet!

Jinx-) The nut is still on that factory sporter barrel. i just was able to screw the entire barrel with nut attached away from the action, and I ordered a new nut from Midway! THe old one is pretty roughed up anyway, so its probably best....

jinx-)
07-26-2011, 12:43 AM
Hold on Numrich got varmint contour 270 in SS, I thought its only factory and magnum they carry.... It does look like magnum tapper...

chadster73
07-26-2011, 12:55 AM
T-Bird, that's almost the exact same load that I shoot in my Walmart special .270... 54.4 grains IMR 4350, Winchester brass/primers, Hornady SST's-130 grainers... 30-thousandths off the lands! Shoots about half M.O.A off the bench or better and took nice cow elk with it this last winter! Congrats!

teebirdhyzer
07-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Jinx -), maybe its magnum, but it's pretty big and heavy. .715 I think at the end. Its about the same size as my varmint barreled .17hmr savage, but maybe thats what the magnum contour is?

teebirdhyzer
07-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Chadster....thats good. This was the first time Ive ever done handloading and my local shop had imr4350 so thats what I tried first...plus alot of info on the web about it being good for .270. Being new, I still not sure how to mesure off the lands? I just measued the OAL of some factory rounds I have and set the die to make these about the same...pretty non-precise, but it seems to have worked ok. What I was really careful and precise with is measuring the powder to make sure the shells all have the same charge.

teebirdhyzer
07-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Got a chance to get out this afternoon and shoot a few rounds at 200yds. Same load of 54.5 grains imr4350 with nosler 130 grain BT. These are the first three shots. i had purposely sighed a little high the other day during load development, because i like a 200yd zero for whitetail huting. I believe I have stumbled onto a winner, and I'm looking forward to deer season!

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/fullup3/IMG_4213.jpg

teebirdhyzer
08-19-2011, 05:32 PM
The weather finally broke her in MS a little and we had some temps in the 80's this morning. i went out early and tried her out at 300yds and shot this 1" group. I'm pretty pleased....now I want to try some magpro in some loads to flatten it out.

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/fullup3/300yds.jpg

SFLEFTY
08-19-2011, 06:06 PM
That stock is a beauty, and walnut stocks can shoot too, can't they?! :)