PDA

View Full Version : Flowing primers into firing pin hole...need advice

Junfan
07-23-2011, 01:03 AM
From day one my Savage 12FV rifle has allowed primers to flow into the firing pin hole giving the impression of over pressure when clearly there is none(I have tried with light to warm loads and always the same result) Is this due to a large firing pin hole, small dia firing pin or a weak spring? What do you suggest for fixing it? Any information would be appreciated.

Joe O
07-23-2011, 05:49 AM
Send pics to Customer service.They see this problem all the time.My reply is on the other site.

blom
07-23-2011, 06:36 AM
You could send it to Gre-Tan rifles and they will bush the firing pin hole, I think the last one I had done was about 60 or 70$

82boy
07-23-2011, 10:19 AM
I doubt the firing pin spring is week, from the factory Savage firing pin springs are WAY more stronger than they have to be. I would call Savage, and see what they say. If they cant fix it, you can either send it to a gun smith and have a bushing machined into the bolt head, that fits the firing pin, or you can try other bolt heads, or firing pins, and find ones that fit better.

sinman
07-23-2011, 11:25 AM
I would just get a new bolt head, they run like $40, you could pull your bolt apart and see if there is a lot of slop in the firing pin hole.

tyler.woodard04
07-23-2011, 01:11 PM
with a new bolt head your going to have to head space the barrel again remember

Scott Evans
07-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Square off the firing pin end and reset the protrusion. Instead of a hemisphere shape on the end, flat with radiused edge.

sharpshooter
07-24-2011, 01:22 AM
Yeah....what Scott said. Cratered primers are not much more that a visual annoyance. As long as you are not blanking primers, I would not worry about it.