PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10 Predator stiff bolt

trappst
07-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Hey guys....got a new, unfired Predator in 22-250 with a small issue. The bolt is fairly stiff while opening and closing with nothing in the chamber.

I noticed it when I first got it and it seems to be worse after spraying everything with Duracoat Duraclear sealant. The front action screw isn't an issue.

I'm thinking the camo wrap combined with the Duraclear coating is the culprit. Do you think the two combined would cause enough interference at the rear of the action/rear baffle to cause this?

Thanks!!

wahoowad
07-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Mine is a little tight too (243). No coatings on mine - just a thin coat of oil. Gun is certainly usable, just not as smooth as I'd expect.

cwop
07-22-2011, 06:15 PM
i have 2 target actions one is b/new the other used. the other one cycles much better so probably 500 or so rounds things should be much better.

just my 2c

bob

trappst
07-22-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm sure it will loosen up with some use, I've just never had one this tight. In theory, do you think the wrap/duraclear would add enough to tighten things up? Seriously, there can't be more than a couple thou (if that) with the wrap/clear combined.

I'm very tempted to take a sharp razor blade and carefully removed the coating from the rear of the action where the rear baffle makes contact.

Sharpshooter - your thoughts?

sharpshooter
07-24-2011, 01:30 AM
Any kind of coating on moving parts will make things drag and be sluggish. The bolt bodies are case hardened to glide in the receiver. I would would remove any camo or duracoat, because it is softer than the bolt and will eventually pick up grit and wear off.

jinx-)
07-24-2011, 01:34 AM
Get a candle and light it up then on the bolt get soot to cover it front and sides then insert bolt cycle it, then remove it, then look inside of the receiver for traces of carbon, check your bolt it will show where you might have a problem...

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/5607/6mmchamber1.jpg

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/5936/6mmchamber2.jpg

trappst
07-26-2011, 01:36 PM
For those that might have been interested in this one:

I did remove the wrap/coating with a razor and hobby knife. I only removed it at the rear of the action, front of the rear baffle and the small spot at the rear of the baffle where the bolt handle makes contact. Also removed it on the bolt handle at the same spot.

FYI, I did have a piece large enough to mic and it measures .0048".....more than I expected.

Bolt operation is not near as stiff as it was. There is still a little stiffness but I'll contribute that to the rifle being unfired. I'm sure the lugs, etc. aren't perfect in geometry either but it's very usable now!

Thanks for your thoughts and advice!