PDA

View Full Version : Stevens Bolt Head

stinkitup
07-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Hi Guys

Recently picked up one of the last 223 stevens new in Aussie land for a project. This will be used for smaller critters but was thinking could something like a 300 or 338 RCM be built on this? I realise a new bolt head would be required could a standard short action bolt head be opened up or is there better options? Or would just a 308 suffice, really is only for the bigger deer species and probably pigs had just thought something bigger would be fun.

Ryan

bootsmcguire
07-21-2011, 12:47 AM
To go with a short-mag type cartridge you will have to get a WSM Push-feed style bolt head. You will also need to change out the mag box to make it a repeater of course. You could also do something like 358 Winchester. For a short action round it looks like it should have a nice thump factor at normal hunting ranges. A 338 Federal would be another to look at. However to do a 338 Fed. or a 358 Win. you will need a .473" face (308 sized), which is more common and should be easier to find and of course a 308 sized magazine.

stinkitup
07-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Thanks Boots, I had a quick search of 308 wildcats before posting and found nothing I suppose the 358 aint a wild cat lol. Sounds pretty perfect and have found some good sites regarding performance should easily be use able to 300m which is more than I usually shoot hunting. I will check the 338 fed out as well. Keeping everything 308 standard keeps it cheap and I have thought of going to a dbm one day so will work out well.

Thanks again
Ryan

bootsmcguire
07-22-2011, 07:19 PM
I think a 358 Win would be a fun caliber to have for deer and such and should do nicely on hogs. I read a review of a 358 that a PH took down to Texas and hunted Hogs and Coyotes with and was using a Barnes bullet. Sounds like it knocked the hogs over pretty good and just shoved the coyotes right on over.

I don't know how common the 35 bores are in the "Down Under" but if you can get 'em I think it should be a good one.

I have wanted to build a 35 Whelen for a while now but just can't justify another hunting caliber since I have a 30-06 that does all I need it to for hunting. And if it won't do the job I've always got the 458 Win Mag. ;D

Keep us up to speed on what you go with.