PDA

View Full Version : Is truing and timing worth it?

Pages : 1 [2]

bsekf
07-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Please go to: http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/index.html and read Tech support and questions call Thurs and Friday noon till 8:00 PM, only!

I have never had trouble getting Lisa on the phone as long as I follow their instructions. ???

Bill

racinready300ex
07-22-2011, 07:40 AM
Please go to: http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/index.html and read Tech support and questions call Thurs and Friday noon till 8:00 PM, only!

I have never had trouble getting Lisa on the phone as long as I follow their instructions. ???

Bill

Never called for tech support question, also didn't call on Thurs and Friday figuring they would be harder to get up with. Glad you have good luch with them, and you don't have to worry about me tieing up there phone lines.

J.Baker
07-24-2011, 03:24 AM
What I don't get is: If the smiths have the amount of work, and work piling up, why don't they hire an extra hand? SSS would get much more work if they got there delivery times in shape, so it would really be an investment.

Ever consider they don't want to expand or hire on more help because they're perfectly content with the size of the business as-is?

mattri
07-24-2011, 08:44 AM
mugsie- it sounds like the general consensus is that T&T won't improve the accuracy, just the feel of the bolt. If it were me, I wouldn't spend the extra money, especially not on a rifle that I'm not 100% happpy with.

You mentioned that it's a donor action, what about the rest of the rifle. barrrel type, length, twist, stock, trigger etc? What are you using for load data?

mugsie
07-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Mattri,

I agree with you - T&T isn't going to be worth it on a Savage. From the looks of the post, there's some pretty strong opinions on SSS isn't there. Anyway - I'm using a Shileen barrel, a SSS stock, a Calahan recoil lug. I rebuilt the bolt head and swapped magzines out to a 30-06 type (which fits the 308 family of cartridges). Don't remember the load recipe because I'm up stairs and too lazy to walk down to the basement to look up the info - sorry. It is a 140g HPBT SMK using 4350 but don't remember the exact load. I can look it up later if you'd like.

I'll be bedding the rifle this coming week - everyone on here was extremely helpful which convinced me to try it. Doesn't look that hard - hell, if I could make it through Vietnam anything else is a cake walk! I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Later......

DGD6MM
07-24-2011, 09:39 AM
mugsie, 1st thank you for your service to our Country. 2nd bed that rifle and it will shoot better. Do the 38 thing and you will be better off on bolt manipulation. I lost a shoot due to time in prone position because of heavy bolt lift. The fella that beat me was faster, he was shooting a Savage that had been T&T'd. I was more accurate, he was a little faster, and that cost me a lot.

JCalhoun
07-27-2011, 09:49 PM
If y'all don't send SSS your actions Fred will have more time to spend on mine. ;) ;D

DGD6MM
07-28-2011, 10:03 AM
+1 on what JCalhoun said ;D

wbm
08-16-2011, 09:38 PM
"By the time you're old enough to afford one, you probably won't live long enough to receive it."

LOL Thanks Jack I needed that.!

M.O.A.
08-17-2011, 01:16 AM
Don't know. Never had it done.

btw, I have 2 260s. One shoots in the .3s the other in the .5-.6s range. Guess which rifle shoots better at 600yds?

there might be something to this post some times a bullet or load does not settle down till further down range try shooting at 300 or 400 yards and see what it does.

cwop
08-17-2011, 07:13 PM
as a small business owner i understand fred s situation and i can understand everyone s frustration but im sure some of his tech calls are a complete waste of his time. lets look at it this way fred and his wife need a certain amount of business weekly in order to keep their doors open and all their vendors paid and other things kept up to date.

ill bet fred works in excess of 10 hours a day most days of the week and still is behind but that is a good thing. i have told many customers i am a one man operation if you want to do business with me sometimes i may take awhile but when i am done your order will be correct and the price will be right.

some potential customers would not do it this way so we both went down the road both happy but i can assure you after 35 years in my business i can do way more for a customer than the huge billion dollar a year conglomerates. i have seen people throw away very expensive pieces of equipment because they couldnt get one inexpensive part or didnt know how to get it or someone to get it for them. that is my job!

i dont need anything done by fred but i can assure you if i sent him a rifle i would have something to use in the meantime and just know it would take awhile. sometimes quality work and service just takes awhile.

bob

psharon97
08-18-2011, 02:12 AM
I suppose to answer the thread's main question of is it worth have a Savage action Timed and Trued, the main question is what do you plan on doing with the rifle? If you just want a lighter bolt lift, then I suppose the 38 special trick will work. Never done it myself, so I cannot compare the results. However, if you are trying to wring out every bit of accuracy possible out of your savage rifle, then I would send it in.