PDA

View Full Version : Barrel removed with nut still stuck

teebirdhyzer
07-18-2011, 09:25 PM
I'm in the process of trying to change out my first barrel. The acton wrench and nut wrench came in, and i sprayed some PB blaster on the nut and began hitting the wrench with a dead blow hammer. After some serious pressure, I began getting movement. Except, the nut wasn't loosening...instead the entire barrel was unscrewing from the action. I tightened it up several times and tried again to get the nut to bread loose with no luck, so I just removed the entire barrel, with nut attached, and orderd a new nut from MIdway. Anyone else ever had this problem?

Uncle Jack
07-18-2011, 10:40 PM
It is not uncommon with a rusted or frozen barrel nut.

uj

geargrinder
07-18-2011, 11:26 PM
The bluing salts leach back into the threads locking them up pretty tight.

jinx-)
07-19-2011, 03:51 AM
Try to move nut back in the clockwise direction, don't try to move in counterclockwise, it won't go...

teebirdhyzer
07-19-2011, 01:18 PM
I will try that tonight. thanks

scnewt
07-21-2011, 06:31 AM
Wished that I had seen this post last week... I could have traded you for a barrel with the nut welded to the recoil lug and then welded to the action. Just pull out the Dremel and get to work ;).

Carvera
07-21-2011, 08:36 AM
Here's my guess,

Front mount screw was initially too long. It sunk into the barrel threads and messed with them pretty good. Now you're trying to get nut off of a barrel with bad threads, and are getting nowhere.

Just a guess.