PDA

View Full Version : Need some tip's for first match

DanSavage
07-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Hi guy's I am going to my first match on Sunday at Springwater N.Y. rod & gun club. It is listed as a 200 yard F-Class. I have a stock model 10 fp .308 exept I added a limbsaver recoil pad. I prefer to use the bench with sand bags but I have a bi-pod if needed. How many rounds should I take? Will I have a chance to zero at 200?, it's at 100 now. I don't expect to win I just want to learn and have fun. I have a load developed with the 168gr Amax that is accurate. If anyone has been to a event like this before please chime in and let me know what to expect. Thanks, Dan.

seanhagerty
07-18-2011, 09:59 PM
I would go out Saturday and check your dope for 200 yds. Install your bipod and get comfy with shooting from prone.

I would take 60 rounds with you Sun. Probably wont need that many, or maybe you will need more, depending on the CoF. Contact the comp organizers and ask them how many rounds you need.

Take sunscreen, bug repellant, bipod and rear bag, shooting mat, and hearing protection. Make sure you have good dope for 200 yds, both windage and elevation.

rjtfroggy
07-19-2011, 10:57 AM
The most important thing you need to know is JUST ENJOY YOURSELF.
The experience will be your teacher for the next time you shoot a match.

JCalhoun
07-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Take a pencil, clipboard, legal pad and calculator. This will come in really handy for scoring and taking notes.

If pits are involved you may need a cheapy spotting scope to score the shooter on the next relay and a bucket, milk crate, etc to sit on.

Definitely contact the match director as for how much ammo will be needed and what ever else you'll need.

Eric in NC
07-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Some ranges don't have easy access to water either - be sure you have some water, a towel, and something to eat (I like to bring an orange or two - water and food in its own container!).

Don't be afraid to ask questions - won't find many places with folks that are more friendly and helpful.

DanSavage
07-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Thank you very much guy's, I think I might have to pick up a shorter bi-pod because mine is 13'' at the shortest setting and it has really killed my back when woodchuck hunting in prone position. I'll let everyone know how the match goes.

JCalhoun
07-20-2011, 11:22 AM
The Harris 6 to 9 inch is a good one.

memilanuk
07-20-2011, 11:32 AM
If you go shopping for a Harris 6-9", be sure to take the time to find one with the notched legs and swivel head. I haven't purchased a new one in recent years, but if they don't come with a handle for the swivel lock, buy one. Without it, the dang thing will flop around like a fish out of water. With it, the bipod should lock down hard and fast once you level the gun.

Senderofan
07-20-2011, 11:35 AM
If you go shopping for a Harris 6-9", be sure to take the time to find one with the notched legs and swivel head. I haven't purchased a new one in recent years, but if they don't come with a handle for the swivel lock, buy one. Without it, the dang thing will flop around like a fish out of water. With it, the bipod should lock down hard and fast once you level the gun.

Bought two of them from Midway a couple of weeks ago...they were on sale...anyway..no handle from the factory. The floppy fish deal is extremely accurate...buy the handle as well.

Wayne