PDA

View Full Version : 10 308 accuracy issues

Pages : 1 [2]

jonbearman
07-31-2011, 12:44 PM
If you dont pull the blade straight back it will lock out the trigger,it is a sfaety feature. You have to position your finger so you are pulling straight back and it should operate correctly. Is it possible the barrel is loose. I have seen this before. If you have a local smith with a wrench for the smooth nut,I would have him check to see if the barrel nut is not tight enough , which will cause the problem you are having.

davemuzz
07-31-2011, 01:21 PM
I am returning the scope and calling savage. I have spent to much ...... money on ammo to put up with it.

That's probably your best plan. I'm sure with enough time, you could probably figure out what the issue is....and then your still gonna have to send it back to Savage to tell them what the issue is....and then they will look at it....figure out you are absolutely right....fix it...and never tell you that you are 100% on the money that your diagnosis was correct.

So why spend the time? Heck...your not getting paid to do that!!! Send it back and tell 'em to turn the lemon back into a rifle.

Last fall I bought a T\C 220 Swift from the (now temporarily shut down until they get the custom shop moved) T\C custom shop. I "burned" way to much time and probably 100 rounds.....along with the fact that each time I pulled the trigger.....even on brand new Nosler brass, I would the "magic ring" of case head separation. Yeah....do the cost factor.

I determined the barrel had been overbored by about 15 thousands. I sent it back to T\C and about two weeks later they called me and said "The barrel is not within our standards."

Yeah....just send it back. Good plan.

Dave

shelbyfan
08-07-2011, 10:41 PM
so I finally got out to shoot it again. Set up a 25y target, got it shooting about 2" low, moved it to 50y. Shot 10" low >:(
so I said "screw it" and ordered the ER Shaw SS barrel kit and a boyds prairie varminter stock.

jinx-)
08-07-2011, 11:50 PM
so it is barrel, just what I suspected, all my latest factory barrels are bad...

M.O.A.
08-08-2011, 01:44 AM
so I finally got out to shoot it again. Set up a 25y target, got it shooting about 2" low, moved it to 50y. Shot 10" low >:(
so I said "screw it" and ordered the ER Shaw SS barrel kit and a boyds prairie varminter stock.
what did it do at 100? i would be welling to bet that it comes back up from 50 to 100 but the shaw is a good barrel so its no big deal

shelbyfan
08-08-2011, 02:27 AM
what did it do at 100? i would be welling to bet that it comes back up from 50 to 100 but the shaw is a good barrel so its no big deal
So you think the laws of physics will change after 50 yards?

M.O.A.
08-08-2011, 07:06 PM
maybe ;) ;D

davemuzz
08-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Remember....MOA was "in" on the Kennedy bullet assassination theory. So.... ;)....With MOA's involvement......bullet flight becomes more than just science!!!! :P :-X :-\ ;D ;D :D

shelbyfan
08-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Well, technically, if there was enough velocity and fast enough twist it could create low pressure on the top and rise.

I actually thought about other reasons for shooting low, one was the scope mount being higher on one end and throwing the angle way off, it wasn't.

Got the barrel out, that was a fun job, hooray glue.

Rifleman51
08-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Two people have mentioned the scope, one the scope screws, you said it's not the scope. Have you actually tried another scope?
They do go bad, even the expensive ones. It sounds like a scope problem to me, you have checked most everything else.
The barrel may be a possibliity also, but until you put another known good scope on it, your spinning your wheels.
Also, have you checked headspace?
What you are describing sounds like a scope for sure.

My Best, John K

shelbyfan
08-10-2011, 11:42 AM
people have mentioned it could be a scope problem, hadn't noticed :'(
it has scope #4 on it. so unless by some crazy weird fluke it ain't the scope

Rifleman51
08-10-2011, 11:53 AM
OK, I didn't see that you had changed scopes. I'd just send it back to Savage.
You could do a chamber casting and look for problems there, find someone with a bore scope and check the barrel well.
Give Scott at Savagegunsmithing a call, he answers a phone and may be able to offer a few things, 208-313-1570. It may take a few times to get through, he's on the phone a lot, is a Master Smith and will talk to you, customer or not, great guy.

My Best, John K

shelbyfan
08-10-2011, 11:57 AM
I thought about that but I already have it stripped. Kind of wanted to make it a project.

M.O.A.
08-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Remember....MOA was "in" on the Kennedy bullet assassination theory. So.... ;)....With MOA's involvement......bullet flight becomes more than just science!!!! :P :-X :-\ ;D ;D :D
hay sssshhhhhh dont tell any one ;D

shelbyfan
08-14-2011, 12:39 AM
Oh yeah, it was the barrel alright. Put the ER Shaw on it and tested it this morning. Tracked perfectly. Also found out that the stock is super pressure sensitive. I put the front bag under the front lug and when it would slide forward the shots went WAY off. So I think it was a super combination of scope, barrel and stock all being bad that made it what it was. My new stock will be in monday. I hope I don't have to order a new trigger guard.

jinx-)
08-14-2011, 02:12 AM
OK now I'm getting confused, barrel, stock and scope? when you say front lug, what exactly are you referring to? the swivel stud or the front action screw or the recoil lug? I thought you tried different scopes with no good results, this will leave just the barrel...

shelbyfan
08-14-2011, 02:24 AM
lug not stud
it did shoot bad with all scopes but it shot really bad with the first nikon (that i exchanged)
now it shoots where I point it unless it rides in front of the LUG

therefore I believe it was a combination of all three that was making it shoot so bad.