PDA

View Full Version : Trigger help on OLD savage 110 please?

Daves762
07-17-2011, 09:59 PM
When my dad passed he left me his savge 110 L in 30-06.

I rebarreled it as the old one was beat to heck and 2" shorter than my buddies much newer savage, also had open sights on the abrrel that I hated. The procedure went well although I did learn a few lessons (like jumping up and down on a breaker bar is alot harder than cutting off the barrel nut with a pea-grinder) stock was inletted as well for full free float.

Next is the trigger. It's an OLD left handed savage with the flat rear receiver and I think it has a 4 or 5 digit serial number.

All my research led me to the Sav-1 trigger, and that one wasn't even the same shape as mine.

I am at a loss. Please advise.

What triggers will fit this older model?

Thanks.

Blue Avenger
07-17-2011, 10:10 PM
picture? shape can change in the back, as the spring changes. what about the front where the sear contacts?

Daves762
07-17-2011, 10:21 PM
ummmmm sorry Im new how the heck do I post pictures????

Daves762
07-17-2011, 10:40 PM

bootsmcguire
07-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Give this a read, it should answer all your questions on posting pics.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,3598.0.html

82boy
07-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Sounds like you have a factory pre-accu-trigger on the gun. If you look in the FAQs section you will find out how to adjust it.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,19414.0.html

Just about all the aftermarket triggers should work on your gun.

MNbogboy
07-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Not knowing how old your Savage is...but
If your 110 is pre-1966 then it has the old style trigger.....The Sav-1 or Timney will work but you need all the trigger parts from a newer version including the safety parts and sear...With some "file work" you can make this trigger fit and function well....You may have to alter the bolt release or mill clearance on the side of the action (I am not sure of the left hand version)....(I found out the hard way the bolt release will not bend without heat)....

But before any of this remember that the old style triggers are very adjustable, There is an over-travel, sear adjustment, safety and of course the spring tension screw....I have one that when set all the way down is right at 3 lbs and very crisp....It helps my Douglas barreled 25-06 shoot bug holes...

My .02 and something to think about,
Randy

LHitchcox
07-18-2011, 11:25 AM
If it is indeed a 110L, it is a first generation and none of the diagrams posted will help. Is the rear sight dovetailed into an enlarged ring on the barrel? If so it will be a first generation trigger made from 1958 into the mid 1960s. I have one also in left hand on a .25-06. It is adjustable but awkward to do so. Look at Numrich Corp for a trigger diagram. At one time there was an webpage with correct instructions for this early trigger. I just looked and didn't find it this time. I will keep looking and if I find it I will post a link.

At one time I called a retired gentleman who was a Savage tech for information on converting the rifle to a current (not Accutrigger) and he said the machine work would make it financially impractical. BTW, he was referred to me by Savage. Therefore adjusting the existing trigger is the only practical option. that was before I found Savageshooters.com.

LHitchcox
07-18-2011, 11:33 AM
This is not the one I remember, bit it is on this site and is better the old one I used:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,21960.0.html

Daves762
07-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Thanks fella's!!

Daves762
07-18-2011, 10:08 PM
[quote=LHitchcox ]
If it is indeed a 110L, it is a first generation and none of the diagrams posted will help. Is the rear sight dovetailed into an enlarged ring on the barrel?

YES!!