PDA

View Full Version : redfield acu-range tracking issue

et
07-17-2011, 08:24 PM
hey guys hows it going. i had been following the board for a lil while now and had a few questions hopefully you guys can help me out. i have an older flat back model 10 in .243 that I've been building up. i have recently purchased a 4-12x redfield acu-range from cabelas to replace the original 3-9x Simmons scope that came on it close to 10 years ago. i was curious if anyone has experience with this scope? if you guys do does the scope track well for you? i was at a new range today that has steel targets at 250 500 750 and 1000 and had a blast but the scope didn't seem to respond to any of left and right changes i was making. the scope held 200 yd zero well so the 250yd qualifying shot was easy after my fouling shot. after i hit 250 3 times i moved on to the 500 yd steel targets. the slight wind going from right to left made it a lill bit of a challenge so instead of holding over a bunch i would aim to the right side of the steel target and watch for poi. it hit left by about a foot so i adjusted right 2 moa and sent another shot down range. this one hit in pretty much the same spot, adjusted 2 more moa and sent another shot downrange. hit left again. after doing this a couple more times i was starting to get annoyed. after 10 shots or so i finally got on target at 500 yds and hit 5 in a row. from there i decided to switch to the 750 targets. before sending a shot downrange i moved up 8 moa then sent one downrange. hit a lil low and a lot left so i adjust up another moa or so and got the vertical adjustment pretty well on but it kept going left. id shoot and adjust shoot and adjust trying to walk it in to 750 but no matter how much i adjust right it continued to shoot left of the target. i finally ran out of adjustment and started to do a holdover for windage and never hit the 750 16 inch target. had a handful of rounds left so decided to move to 1000 just for grins and to say i hit at 1000. well i never hit that target either but did get close a couple times. i was aiming maybe around 10-15ft to the right of the target and guess what? hit left again!!!!!! the wind didn't seem too bad maybe 10 mph or so and the flags near the targets weren't going crazy just floating in the breeze. the mirage was laying down flat for the most part. do you guys think the scope is fouled or could the wind be blowing my round around that much? I'm shooting 95gr berger vld over 40.8grs of hodgon 4350 going right at 2992fps but did do one more test load at 41.4grs that gave sub .5 moa at 100 which is the same group size as the 40.8 just with higher fps. if anyone has any suggestions or advise they can give it would be greatly appreciated i really enjoyed trying to shoot that far and got rather comfortable with the 500yd and would like to get like that at 750 and 1000

rez187
07-17-2011, 08:35 PM
box test your scope at 100 to test tracking. but first check all mounts for loose screws etc. if scope tracks then come back if not send to leupold they have great customer service and will fix any problems no questions asked. the redfield by leupold are good scopes and you should have no problems.

i use a 243 w/75 gr v max and at 750 in 10mph wind drift is 46 inches so it can be that much i suspect the vld will be a bit better but at those extreme distances come ups and windage can be huge!

et
07-17-2011, 08:49 PM
when your shooting in that kind of wind do you usually hold over or do you click in the scope to adjust. i didnt expect to run out of windage in what seemed to be just a light breeze.

rez187
07-18-2011, 02:32 AM
with the accu reticle clicks is prob better. if you had mil or other ranging reticle you can choose either

et
07-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the replies! I plan on doing a box test next time I go to the range I just have to make up some more ammo. I had done one before and it gave me odd results so I thought I messed up the count or something. Do you guys usually count out 8 MOA or is there a better way to test it?

Does anyone out there use this scope for Target shooting or is it more of a set it and forget it kind of scope? I don't have a big budget so my next adventure is going to be installing a criterion 7mm-08 when I save up for it then try to save for either a vortex viper or better scope and a 20 MOA EGW base.

r29l20
08-30-2011, 09:37 PM
I have that same scope, the turrets are, set it and forget it style.