PDA

View Full Version : 6.5X284 REDDING DIE QUESTION

jrallo3789
07-16-2011, 11:47 PM
Hello All,
Here is the question, I'm going to order a set of Redding Competition 3 Die Neck Sizer set. (58415 ). What size bushings do I order? I would order 3 just to be sure but what size do I order? I haven't got the gun yet ( It's on it's way ) but want to get this stuff ordered ahead of time. Can you help???
THANKS
P.S. It's a standard Savage Rifle.

Slowpoke Slim
07-17-2011, 07:58 PM
You'll love this answer,

"It Depends"

The reason,

You have to measure your neck thickness on your brass, add the bullet diameter, then start with subtracting a thou or 2 and see how the gun likes it.

Example:

Bullet+neck+neck-.002

.264+.014+.014-.002=.290

So, using this example, if your neck thickness on your brass happened to be .014, and you were "trying" .002" worth of neck tension, you would need a .290 bushing for your die. You will have to measure your necks, you will have to decide if you're going to turn your necks or not, and you may have to experiment with a couple different neck tensions to find what your rifle likes.

If you're shooting a magazine fed gun, and you're planning on feeding from the magazine, you may need to use more neck tension to keep the bullet from being set back in the case during it's trip up from the mag and into the chamber.

My rifle's a single shot, so I don't have to worry about that. I'm currently using a .291 bushing for me, with my brass, in my gun it works. I'm also firing my loads "jammed" into the lands. Yours may not like that same set up.

You may find your gun responds better with more tension, thus a "tighter" bushing. Also, as your brass gets work hardened from firing and resizing, the "spring back" will change, and the same bushing you've been using will now give you less actual tension due to spring back of the harder brass. Then it's time to anneal your case necks.

There, wasn't that a "simple" answer?

;D

jrallo3789
07-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Ok Thanks alot I'll do that. I have on order Lapua brass for the 6.5x284. How are their necks?
Thanks