PDA

View Full Version : Mc Gowen Barrels

LSUBOY
07-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Hard to type in car stealing internet b u t I finally got tired of the Mc
gowen talk and decided to order 3 of them for PD shooting. Get to the point?

***2-223's & 1-22-250 / all with brakes
***Mine shoot just as good as my Shilens, Harts and all of the rest
***The bore is lapped as slick as a cat and it cleans up quick
***Copper fouling was gone by the 10 round or so
***About 300 rounds in about a week or so and they ALWAYS shoot in the 2's through 6's
***Timed fire will give me a group in the 2's and 3's
***10 shot groups will open up to the 5's in the heat
***20-shot groups will open up to the 6's thru 8's in the heat
***No matter what group I shoot it's always gonna be a ragged 1-holer.....important!

Going to the credit union on monday and get enough money to order about 7 more of them cause sooner or later McGowen is gonna say "our barrels are just as good as all of the others and we need to raise the price.

Bye,

LSUBOY

07-17-2011, 03:59 AM
Well, I am glad you have that kind of money!!! :o

I have 3 and all shoot, although probably not as well as yours since I am not a great shot. The problem with mine was in the ordering not the accuracy. Have people been complaining about the accuracy of the McGowen barrels? Mine still copper up as badly as my Savage barrels, but oh well, just some thing you get used to.

Stockrex
07-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Lsuboy, I think the thread is being critical of their business practices and not their barrels,
I like to do business with honest people, where yes means yes and no means no...
I do not enjoy complicated people like my MIL.
Any live near mcgowen shop? Maybe we can do some good ol fashioned detective work, maybe they do not work full-time anymore, maybe he is a share cropper and makes barrels on the side.

5spd
07-17-2011, 09:49 PM
My 6x45 24" SS McGowan cleans up with just a slight trace of copper.
I have about 500 rounds through it since new in March 4 months back, average groups are in the .480" to .680" with hunting loads which is all I use it for to 400 yds, Id bet I could go smaller with target specific loading.
This is the best & easiest to clean bbl I have owned so far.
I bore scoped it after I got it and the rifling was sharp and smooth as glass unlike the stock savage bbl with hammer marks from one end to the other, but shot in the .600" still.