PDA

View Full Version : Newby to Bolt Actions looking for some info on Axis...

Bladed45TN
07-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Just bought a .308 at Wally for $264. How could I not after reading the reviews and testimonies? ;D

It came with the 2 piece weaver base. I hear people talking about there bases have 20 or whatever MOA. First off, maybe I need a simplified definition of Minute of Angle but how can a base have MOA?

My Leupy 3-9x40 barely fit with the spaces and I just used the 1 inch steel rings I also got at WM for $20. Will I have any issues with the action or recoil imounting the scope like this or should I pony up for a one piece base which a lot of people around here seem to dig?

I've also seen some cool custom, beefier bolts on rigs here. Does any company sell aftermarket ones for the edge or would this have to be some custom work by someone with more riflery knowledge?

Can't wait to shoot this thing this weekend. Hunting hogs in a week :)

DoubleUp
07-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Long range shooters can use the 20 moa bases, so they can get extra elevation on their turrets. The bases have a light upward slope to them. Some shooters consider the sinlge bases to be sturdier and certainly easier to adjust some scopes to your individual eye relief. I haven't had any problem with two piece Weaver bases. My Edge is a 223, so I'm not going to be shooting to a 1,000 yds.

82boy
07-16-2011, 10:55 AM
It came with the 2 piece weaver base. I hear people talking about there bases have 20 or whatever MOA. First off, maybe I need a simplified definition of Minute of Angle but how can a base have MOA?

As mentioned the bases are cut so that the scope is canted, The amount of MOA is dependent on how much cant, and how far away the bases are apart from each other. Most MOA bases are one piece base's, and the amount of MOA is made bay the amount of slope in the base, considering that the uses mounts the rings on the ends of the base.

My Leupy 3-9x40 barely fit with the spaces and I just used the 1 inch steel rings I also got at WM for $20. Will I have any issues with the action or recoil imounting the scope like this or should I pony up for a one piece base which a lot of people around here seem to dig?

The factory Weaver copies work, I have used them and shot many small groups. The problem is with recoil some people complain that the screws back out of the aluminum mounts. If I was going to spend the money for a nice Leupold scope I sure would not mount it in cheap rings. It is possible to bend the tubs, scratch the scope, and all kinds of things from cheap rings. As far as fit, as long as the scope is mounted where the rings are not on the slope of the bell, or near the adjustment part of the scope causing problems it should be fine. Improper mounting of a scope is what causes the largest majority of accuracy problems.

I've also seen some cool custom, beefier bolts on rigs here. Does any company sell aftermarket ones for the edge or would this have to be some custom work by someone with more riflery knowledge?

There is only two aftermarket parts made for the edge/Axis rifles. One is a 1 piece scope mount made by EGW, the other is a trigger made by Rifle Basix, and that is it. Any other mods you would want, would be something you would have to have custom built. The Edge/Axis rifles have little in common with the Savage line of rifles.

Bladed45TN
07-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Grat info guys! After I mounted the scope properly I was shooting well at 25 yards but because I wasted so much time improperly mounting all my gear, I had to leave the range before I went out to 50 and 100 (I actually started at 50) ::)

Oh well...the performed flawlessly and I am happy with the rig so far. I will keep an eye on the scope, rings and mount but so far so good. One thing I added that I can't wait to try is a Bear Mtn (or Bear claw...forget the brand) comb raiser. It's a non slip, multi height stock sleeve that goes over it and was only $21.99 at Bass Pro. Should improve my cheekweld and pad the recoil a little bit. But yes, looks like I too, will be hitting up rifle basix as the trigger is excessive.

jeffr72
07-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Bladed,

Check out this link: http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=184206&Number=1717240#Post1717240

For about $1 and less than 20 minutes I cut my pull in half from a little over 7 to less than 4 pounds. I used a cut piece of allen wrench rather than the tension pin, too hard to compress.

Very easy to do.

jeffr72

Bladed45TN
07-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Bladed,

Check out this link: http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=184206&Number=1717240#Post1717240

For about $1 and less than 20 minutes I cut my pull in half from a little over 7 to less than 4 pounds. I used a cut piece of allen wrench rather than the tension pin, too hard to compress.

Very easy to do.

jeffr72

Don't know if I really want to void the warranty. I am no smith and God knows I would F something up and end up having it go off. I will check it but....

Herman
07-30-2011, 04:59 PM
going with the link jeffr72 posted, there is not permanent modification, so if there is an issues, just put the original spring back in and they will never know.

JC808
07-30-2011, 05:20 PM
going with the link jeffr72 posted, there is not permanent modification, so if there is an issues, just put the original spring back in and they will never know.

If your Axis trigger is like mine and has that yellow locking gunk on it, they'll know you tampered with it once you remove it.

Herman
07-31-2011, 10:12 PM
Interesting.... Mind didn't haven anything, but then again I got mine when they were called the Edge.